• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locker air compressor ?s

Fudd

NAXJA Forum User
I'm pricing lockers right now trying to see if I can afford them :D, one question is there anybody who makes a air compressor that will work for this application for under 150 bucks? or is that just wishful thinking lol

I picked up a used ViAir 450C that will be worked into an OBA shortly. Eventually I plan on plumbing in the Lockers.

CO2 is a good cheap way to get started. If you look around you can get a 20lb tank for almost nothing. Running lines and what not is gonna cost you anyway except no power leads here and the power of CO2 is much nicer. Although running out on the trail sucks so some weigh the tank empty and full so they know when it is getting close. Refilling costs about $20 for the 20lb and lasts a while if you're not using air tools too much.

A co2 regulator is about $30 for a set one but adjustable ones are out there but not sure on price

Ive been running this for a while now and like it alot.

you can use one of the cheapo (under $20) electric compressors that plug into the cigarette lighter. you'll have to take it a part a little to run it to a tank, it will take a while to fill up a 2 gallon tank, and it won't be much good for filling tires, but you hardly need much for an ARB.

Junk yard..... $10 ford/lincoln air ride/ leveler compressor, 115 psi or so, and can run small air tools as well, plumb it to a 2 gallon tank ($30) and call it done.

Junkyard: From a Lincoln like Steele said, or get one from a Caddy. That's what I did. Best part is since it's frrom a Caddy it very quiet when it runs

Onboard air is one of those subjects that is brought up in just about every offroad and 4x4 forum out there.

You need to ask yourself what exactly you are gonna use it for( lockers, air up tires, tools etc.) and how much do you wanna spend for it.

The options include:
1) motor driven compressor( converting your A/C compressor or adding a york compressor are two examples)
2) electric powered compressors - from small air mattress type to large Oasis type - the bigger usually means more CFM and less time waiting to fill tires and spin air tools, and they have a duty cycle( how much you can use it before you need to let it cool down.)
3) CO2 bottles - from what I have read( no hands on experience) they have a lot of CFM but need refilled every so often.

An ARB locker uses very little volume of air at about 80-100 psi pressure so little compressors are ok for these uses. Pumping up tires, depending on the size of the tires and the duty cycle,takes some time.

If you are just gonna use it for the ARB then a small electric is fine, but if you have an ARB then you are probably going off road and need to air down and back up sometime so.........?

have fun

BrettM said:
you can use one of the cheapo (under $20) electric compressors that plug into the cigarette lighter. you'll have to take it a part a little to run it to a tank, it will take a while to fill up a 2 gallon tank, and it won't be much good for filling tires, but you hardly need much for an ARB.

just saw one of these at wall-mart for $9.99 i grabbed it. prob won't last forever and will take forever to fill large tanks but that is what my saden is for. i figure i'll just use it for my ARB. so i can have some redundancy with two oba systems.:laugh3:

Back