• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny pan help

XJ4Roks

NAXJA Forum User
after getting everything all unbuttoned on my 4.0, ive come to see that the exhaust is in my way. i was thinking of pulling the cross member and jacking up the the tranny by the transfer case and trying to slide out the pan. im curious if anyone has done this b4? im really not looking forword to pulling my exhaust just because the bolts are covered in mud., and i really don't want to break them. im just trying to find a easy way out,lol...thanks in advance!!

Sean

i failed to mention that the filler tube is still attached, im afraid to pull it off and not get it back in, lol...i was told on another forum that id be able to pull it down with it in, which isnt the problem its just geting the room to drop it "down"

this is my exhaust..kinda pinched,lol
775522_5_full.jpg

XJ4Roks said:
this is my exhaust..kinda pinched,lol
775522_5_full.jpg
That looks like a pinched off colon.....ouch......it does look a little restricted...probably just a wierd angle

The solution I use is to ratchet strap the exhaust to the front axle. I can ratchet it enough to just clear the pan to drop it without loosening anything.
The filler tube was a problem for me the first time I dropped the pan. I put a light coat of antiseize on the seal in the joint, now it comes right apart.
The first time I dropped the pan I had to beat and cuss but it finally came apart.

Ray H said:
The solution I use is to ratchet strap the exhaust to the front axle. I can ratchet it enough to just clear the pan to drop it without loosening anything.
The filler tube was a problem for me the first time I dropped the pan. I put a light coat of antiseize on the seal in the joint, now it comes right apart.
The first time I dropped the pan I had to beat and cuss but it finally came apart.

so how far did you ratchet the exhaust back?...and did you use and tool to pull the filler tube off?..and what about putting it back it?..any sealer or did it just pop back in? thanks a million!

Sean

I only had to pull the exhaust forward about an inch, maybe two, to allow clearance to drop the pan. I didnt need to loosen any of the exhaust bolts. I just put a strap around the exhaust where it crosses over and pulled it towards the front axle. Your situation may be different because your exhaust looks like spaghetti.
Once I did all the backflips to initially remove the filler tube, I just put a little antiseize on the male end of the tube and slid it back together. It has come off easily the two times that Ive dropped my pan since. I did mention this technique a while ago and someone warned me against using the antiseize compound in the tranny, that it would contaminate the fluid. I guess its possible but I dismissed it beacuse the fluid doesnt usually touch that part of the filler tube and antiseize will stick to the tube on pan surface (thats what it does) and not circulate around in the fluid.

I dont recall what actually got the thing to come apart. I know I beat on it, worked the pan back and forth, did plenty of prying and pulling on it and I swore at it.
It was probably the swearing and threats I made towards it that finally got it to see things my way. :)

Unless it's thoroughly rusted, the filler tube will come off by twisting it and cursing.

Back