• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dealing with salt mud and other crap on 97+ -overall appearance question:)

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
Is it just me? Or what?... got my lift installed long time ago, its a 4" TeraFlex with 31 inch tires on stock rims, so they do not stick out or anything. Seems that every time that i go throught a puddle of water or any other crap, or even wet snow, all that sh*t gets all over my jeeps sides, all the windows, etc... its to the point that i dont even wash my 98 XJ i only drive it on the weekends though. I dont like the idea of Bushwacker flares, since they are too wide and look like crap (my personal opinion). Dont even know what other owners do and how they deal with trimming fenders on post 97+ XJs:p LoL... can't imagine that in Canada;P anyway, what do you guys do? mud flaps help? What did you do?

Hm.. usually if my jeeps gets muddy..... I get happy? what do you want us to tell you?

Maybe some purple underglow lights will help deflect the mud and water.

Purple said:
Seems that every time that i go throught a puddle of water or any other crap, or even wet snow, all that sh*t gets all over my jeeps sides, all the windows, etc...

Teflon-coat it! Not only will dirt and mud not stick to it, but if you paint it black and park it in the sun in summer you can literally fry eggs on the hood! :D

Seriously, though, there's no way around it. Mud flaps will help a bit, but not at all on the fronts if you're steering and moving at the same time. Not to mention spray from other vehicles, etc. that's going to be suspended in the air.

Just hose it down well after use, particularly if there's salt on the road. Be careful with pressure sprayers; they can force salt, dirt, and moisture up into nooks and crannies where you can't see it until it eventually rots through.

Of course, filth on the body is an occupational hazard of owning a Jeep... I wouldn't worry too much about it; it can handle it, really...

lastara
:01of5: .

lol, the guy who suggested purple lights.... you suck:p

as for the other guys:) i owned a yj for 3 years, kick the sh*t out of it, went through 3 trannies and 2 engines:) bent and replaced every single part on it, the only things that were stocked/not replaced were the frame and the body which also was twisted:p i know what mud on a jeep means:) and i used to drive my top/doorless YJ proudly with a huge kick ass smile on my face and with mud in my hair and behind my ears.
As i aged i decided to buy something bigger and more comfy than a leaf sprung YJ and bought an XJ. The problem that im having is that i love my XJ dearly and i live in toronto, canada where they put more salt on the road then all you guys from down south have on your 4x trails. To make the long story short ... XJs rust here like hell, my 98 already has rust spots on the roof and on the gate.... and i want to keep it forever so that means rust protection and mud flaps+flares...

YJs have replacable body parts if you did not notice:p ... and as for the guy who mentioned purple lights....
you still SUCK!

No kidding, replace the 31's with 33x 10.5 wide tires. change the back spacing to 4.5 inches on the rims. Get the tires as far inside the wheel wells as possible, adjust the turn stops so you don;t hit rubber when you turn, and it will be a lot cleaner. A lot less capable because it won't turn, the rubber will contact over a 6 inch obsticle, but that will fix the mess on the outside.

Derik

Due to Beej, I was almost starting to 'not mind' Canada.
Then, here comes this guy.
I would be willing to be he speaks french.
Un-fawking-real.

Purple said:
YJs have replacable body parts if you did not notice

Yes. Nobody has ever replaced an exterior panel on an XJ, evar. Road spray has totalled your Jeep; plz2bputtingitontehtrain to L.A. and I'll recycle it for you free of charge.

Purple said:
lol, the guy who suggested purple lights.... you suck:p

as for the other guys:) i owned a yj for 3 years, kick the sh*t out of it, went through 3 trannies and 2 engines:) bent and replaced every single part on it, the only things that were stocked/not replaced were the frame and the body which also was twisted:p i know what mud on a jeep means:) and i used to drive my top/doorless YJ proudly with a huge kick ass smile on my face and with mud in my hair and behind my ears.
As i aged i decided to buy something bigger and more comfy than a leaf sprung YJ and bought an XJ. The problem that im having is that i love my XJ dearly and i live in toronto, canada where they put more salt on the road then all you guys from down south have on your 4x trails. To make the long story short ... XJs rust here like hell, my 98 already has rust spots on the roof and on the gate.... and i want to keep it forever so that means rust protection and mud flaps+flares...

YJs have replacable body parts if you did not notice:p ... and as for the guy who mentioned purple lights....
you still SUCK!

:rattle: :rattle:

The purple light comment made me laugh. Too bad you didn't find the humor in it. I guess the only real way to keep the mud off of it is to either park it and never drive it again(my personal favorite), or trailer it everywhere with a car cover on it.

Maybe you should be hanging out on a ricer forum. :sunshine:

lol.. you guys rock:p

bgcntry72 said:
Un-fawking-real.

agreed...

I just take mine to the local self serve wand washer after the snow boogers build up....I thought for the underside all you up north used recycled oil sprayed on the bottom ?? I had heard that was pretty common in maine.
For summer I spray my front bug shield with pam, while I was blasting off the snow boogers this morning I thought about spraying my rockers. During the winters here my XJ sees the self serve alot more often than warm weather, sometimes 3x a week. Like you I want to keep mine along time.. so I won't have to drive the unlimited I want to get in the spring during the winters... :laugh3:

Purple said:
...i owned a yj for 3 years, kick the sh*t out of it, went through 3 trannies and 2 engines:) bent and replaced every single part on it..!

Learn to drive. Seriously, you have been here 2 months and are giving people shit? Get over your bad self and go back to America, Jr, eh. If your junk is getting too dirty with stock flares, what the hell do you think is going to happen when you trim? Do people who trim really give a flying fawk if their junk gets dirty? Think a minute before you post.

It comes down to either leave it in the heated garage and rub it with a diaper, or wear the mud proudly between washings (however long that winds up being!).

bgcntry72 said:
Un-fawking-real.
Beej is the man!(in the good way not the way rappers and black comedians refer to him)

Urban Redneck said:
Get over your bad self and go back to America, Jr, eh.

Personally, I like to refer to it as 'UK Lite'.

(Note to Beej: no disrespect intended. I actually like Canada and Canadians. I just don't feel that my role is to put up with a lot of anti-American rhetoric.)

Urban Redneck said:
Learn to drive. Seriously, you have been here 2 months and are giving people shit? Get over your bad self and go back to America, Jr, eh. If your junk is getting too dirty with stock flares, what the hell do you think is going to happen when you trim? Do people who trim really give a flying fawk if their junk gets dirty? Think a minute before you post.[/QUOTEHell yea!!! those of us who have trimmed fenders really don't give a fawk about a little mud....that's the whole reason I own a jeep.It comes with the territory.

Way to help him out! the issue here doesn't sound as though he is all that concerned with mud getting on his jeep, the issue, to me at least, seems as though he is concerned with the heavy coating of salt and calcium that are used to melt snow and ice in certian parts of north america, which as many members who live in the Salt belt areas know, can be very bad and can rot out a newer model XJ or any vehicle very quickly. SO the best solution would be to wash it, and wash it often. If the rusting issue is that bad, you can always give everything a coating of oil undeneath if you don't already have some kind of leak helping you out. But usually washing it very very often helps out alot, and is your only other real option short of adding really skinny tires and going back to stock where everything is tucked nicely into your wheel wells.

Back