• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Complete ZJ rear brakes

blaisetd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. What is a good deal on complete ZJ rear disk brake parts (salvage); caliper mounts, dust sheilds, calipers, rotors, soft lines and e brake hardware?
How does $150 sound? thanks in advance blaise

I got a quote of $100 here in NC.

several sets sold at $200 - depends where you are - most yards won't sell just the brakes - want to sell the whole axle

blaisetd said:
Anyone else?
Paid $40 for the calipers, brackets, shields (no rotors, they cost about $16 a piece), ecables.
$25 for the proportioning valve (I think it was too much), $20 for the ABS sensors, $20 for the ZJ tone rings + $10 to press them on my axles, $11 for ZJ axle studs.
I also decided to get rebuild calipers had to use the salvage calipers as core.
That cost me another $35 total. The parts person quoted my a price of $15.99 on the phone, I rushed to get it thinking it was some short of special to find out it was a mistake. They offered to let me have it at the quoted price, I accepted.
I also bought new pads and eshoes.
On my way of putting things together.

falcon556 said:
Paid $40 for the calipers, brackets, shields (no rotors, they cost about $16 a piece), ecables.
$25 for the proportioning valve (I think it was too much), $20 for the ABS sensors, $20 for the ZJ tone rings + $10 to press them on my axles, $11 for ZJ axle studs.
I also decided to get rebuild calipers had to use the salvage calipers as core.
That cost me another $35 total. The parts person quoted my a price of $15.99 on the phone, I rushed to get it thinking it was some short of special to find out it was a mistake. They offered to let me have it at the quoted price, I accepted.
I also bought new pads and eshoes.
On my way of putting things together.

This is how I did it.
http://www.members.cox.net/nraok2/

falcon556 said:

Wow, you seem to be the first person to get ABS to work with this.....can you do more of a writeup on how exactly you did this, where you got all the parts (junkyard vs. store and part #'s?) This is exactly what I want to do, and it seems you found a relatively inexpensive way to do it....

I was thinking about swapping in an 8.25" axle and putting on discs....but I could always put em on my D35 until I upgrade the axle later...

ColoradoXJ13 said:
Wow, you seem to be the first person to get ABS to work with this.....can you do more of a writeup on how exactly you did this, where you got all the parts (junkyard vs. store and part #'s?) This is exactly what I want to do, and it seems you found a relatively inexpensive way to do it....

I was thinking about swapping in an 8.25" axle and putting on discs....but I could always put em on my D35 until I upgrade the axle later...

There is another ABS conversion on the web, I used it as a guide, the difference is that I used the whole sensor and harness assy instead of splicing the sensors. Tone rings were swapped on my axles instead of replacing the entire axle.
I think that where I departed from other conversions was the use of clamps on the axles to secure the hoses and extending the ZJ cables using extra cable and cable connectors. Also I opted for shortening the brake lines for a better fit.
I used junkyard parts for everything except fot the tone rings. I got them from a 4X4 specialty shop that happened to have some extra D35 axles with the proper tone rings.
I added a couple of pictures
http://www.members.cox.net/nraok2/

Got me some rear brackets coming in the mail. Do I really need the dust shields? I also read that longer lug studs are nessesary due to rotor thickness, true or false? Off topic question: I have a Detroit EZ locker, should I replace the springs (5k miles since installed) or any other parts while I have it apart? Thanks in advance blaise

Back