• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone actual done a Crown Vic disc brake swap?

P1atinum

Aerodynamically Challenge
Ok I have heard or read that they you can use Crown Vic Rear discs for a Dana 44 Break swap.. But I have yet to see that anyone has actual done this..

Is this a myth, an urban legend or can it really be done?

I am having trouble finding a set of ZJ backing plates and may be able to pick up a some Crown Vic plates easier.

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
P1

A guy on my (Jeepin.com) forum has done it and did a write-up on it. The write-up will get posted on Jeepin.com next week (going wheelin' this weekend, otherwise I'd get it posted then). Some sure someone on here has done it as well, and I know there's some info on it on JU as well.

It's basically the same thing as using ZJ parts, only the CV backing plate bolts up to the D44 housing ends without any modification the bolt pattern.

edit: some info: http://jeepin.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=002587#000000

I've done a few, in fact I'm pretty sure I am the one who stumbled onto it by accident (kinda like when I discovered penicilin and then spelled it wrong)

Verrive just finished a write up on it shoot me your e-mail and I'll see if can get it over to you.

it is basically the same as a ZJ swap with a couple tweaks, the retainers are redrilled instead of the axle, the brackets sometimes need a bit of clearancing and the calipers mount one front and one rear .

Thanks for the info Jason and CherokeeKid. Look forward to the write up.

Not my write up, I didn't realize it was gonna go up on Jeepin with a quickness, I'd just keep the eyes peeled on that site :thumbup:

yeah, i was going to get it up this past weekend, then my wife got sick... then I got sick... so it's been kinda slow around here for a few days...

Just curious...
Does the Crown Vic have a 5 on 4.5" or 5 on 5.5" pattern? It'd be sweet to use OEM rotors instead of having them machined to the "correct" bolt pattern... :repair:

Jeepin Jason said:
yeah, i was going to get it up this past weekend, then my wife got sick... then I got sick... so it's been kinda slow around here for a few days...

:rattle: :rattle: :rattle:

quit your whinning and post it damn it!

:laugh3:

BillR said:
Just curious...
Does the Crown Vic have a 5 on 4.5" or 5 on 5.5" pattern? It'd be sweet to use OEM rotors instead of having them machined to the "correct" bolt pattern... :repair:

5x4.5". I think it's just regular Ford 8.8" stuff, the backing plates just happen to have the same bolt pattern as the XJ D44 housing ends.

Yep, its 5x4.5". You need to enlarge the center hole some but nothing horrible by any means. Have any questions you can PM me if you want, I'm the guy that wrote the write up ;)

If my memory serves me they are a bit different than the explorer rotors in thickness but should all interchange. CV caliper pistons are bigger and TC are bigger yet (look for the POPO package as the pistons should be larger) all the calipers interchange with the brackets ZJ included. you may have to pull the caliper to get the bleeder to face up if you interchange some though.

I'm not all that familar, but how different is the backing plate mount on the d44 compared to the 8.25. Just not enough time right now to search myself.

Different enough you'd have to drill them. I'm not real familiar with the 8.25 swap but I think rubicon retainers and ZJ disc brackets should bolt up to the pattern.

Back