• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhausting solutions........

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok so I'v crused 3 mufflers and the $20 cheapies are getting old. Is there a muffler out there that is smaller? Prefer round. That is heavyer then the thin sheet metal ones that want break the bank? If it sounded neat that would be a plus......

Well Ghost, I've put my Flowmaster through hell...

DSC00172.JPG

And it has held up pretty well so far. Bout 50 bones for a 40 series.

^^^ I agree. I just got my Flowmaster 50 installed yesterday. Looooove the sound. and its tough as balls. Doesnt compare to any other muffler out there IMO

ty but To big! I would like something about 1/2 that size...... But they look like they hold up well.... And no I don't want to run a straight pipe.

The new Flowmaster Hushpower is nice, compact like a glass pack, and stainless steel.

Plan on about $129 for one though.

FarmerMatt said:
Plate the bottom of your cheapy...

Want that cause my interior to get really hot? Or is it the cat that causes that? Which kinda got lost the last time I replaced the muffler... :wierd:

I put a stainless steel flowmaster 50 and new S/S cat on my DD the other week. Beefy as a tank... and picked up 3-4 MPG as a bonus.

Plating the muffler should result in a minimal increase in cabin heat - the catalytic converter generates a lot more, tho. Since it needs to reach "light-off" temperature and maintain it, you can expect covering the underside to increase cabin floor temps unless you put a heat shield overtop of it.

There's no real reason to not be able to plate a muffler, if the need is there. I'd just watch to make sure the leading and trailing edges are bent upwards slightly so you don't have to worry about it hanging up on anything (kinda like a 'muffler skid plate...')

5-90

5-90 said:
. I'd just watch to make sure the leading and trailing edges are bent upwards slightly so you don't have to worry about it hanging up on anything (kinda like a 'muffler skid plate...')

5-90

Yep that is perty much why I am on my 3rd muffler in a year. I thought about getting one of the ricer round ones.... lol.....

I just took off my old flowmaster and replaced it with a Midas cheap POS. Its hollow and sounds really good for a "stock replacement". The edges were rolled and spot welded, so i took the MIG and ran beads around every seam. The next step is what farmermatt said, I will plate the bottom of it with 1/8" steel and "clearance" the leading and trailing ends so that they dont stick down.

I just got tired of cruizing through my neighborhood at 2AM and waking up everybody with the flowmaster. It makes it hard to sneak girls back home too.

Like farmermatt said plate it, but here is the addition, plate it w/ expanded metal ( like you see on atv trailers) and keep the expanded metal in tension with some angle, I did that on the last roof rack I built I could stand up in it and jump around (not that i did ...much) and it wouldn't give at all....just my $0.02 worth.

I have herd good things about spin tech. Compact, strong, and sound good. Not sure how much they cost, but as soon as my Flowmaster dies, I am getting a spin tech.

If money is a big deal, I would just weld a mini skid to the bottom of the cheap muffler. Its cheap and if it doesnt work, at least it was cheap :D

AARON

Back