• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some work needs to be done... what can I expect to pay?

ang31-0f-d347h

NAXJA Forum User
well

I need to have adjustable control arms installed...
alignment needs to follow...
while im doing this I want to have my u joints and ball joints replaced.

I have all the parts.

what can I expect to pay in labor?

ball joints? thoes wont be cheap to replace... they require that the knuckels come off = shafts out = labor getting to the parts...

Here's a possible scenario: Labor rates are anywhere from $50-90/hr (Our shop charged $75/hr)

Ball joints: 2-3 hrs per side
U joints: 1hr - they all ready have the shaft out anyways (You are talking about the front shaft joints right??)
Alignment - $50 - $70 Depending what they do/how much they charge
Control arms - ??? Depends on how much lift, etc. Probably around $125-$150

Will.

Find an FSM, and do it all yourself.

I did ball joints and U-joints on my own with little to no mechanical experience.

Autozone rents all the required tool... for free.

Never done control arms..

I'm in the school of thought that labor costs should be about the price of a large pizza with 2-3 toppings, along with a sixer of some good brew. All the above work is something that can be done in your driveway in a few hours, with the possible exception of the alignment unless you do GoJeep's alignment for free... You get the experience of working on your Jeep that way as well and start to understand how all the parts go together (unless you've got HOA Nazis or an apartment that won't allow it - see other thread)

Yucca-Man said:
I'm in the school of thought that labor costs should be about the price of a large pizza with 2-3 toppings, along with a sixer of some good brew. All the above work is something that can be done in your driveway in a few hours, with the possible exception of the alignment unless you do GoJeep's alignment for free... You get the experience of working on your Jeep that way as well and start to understand how all the parts go together (unless you've got HOA Nazis or an apartment that won't allow it - see other thread)

i dont have any jack stands right now... or anything but the jack that sits on top of the car (48 inch jack for when I get stuck in serious crap

otherwise everything on the car has been done in a driveway...

the car was junkyard bound.... its a complete rebuild.

wallmart(sorry) jack stands and floorjack are really inexpensive compared to the cost stated above. then you get experience+ some tools for future projects!

Back