• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about new OEM distributor

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought one from the dealer for my '96 4.0. There was a plastic plug in the bottom of it, which kept the part from turning. I removed the plug before I realized it may have been there to keep things aligned prior to installtion. There is a few lines with a purple marker indicating something I don't know.

Spinning the thing clockwise, there are two holes the plug could possibly go in. They are right after eachother. Should it be in the first or second hole?

Does it matter?

Thanks

did the old dist. have a plug?

i didnt have a plastic plug when i replaced my dist on an 89.

i could be wrong, but the plastic plug is for shipping purposes.

do you have a manual as reference? long story short. rotor needs to be turned to plug one on the dist cap, engine at TDC, and must align with oil pump.

Here's an easier way to replace a distributor. Done it this way twice successfully, and it doesn't require getting to #1 TDC.

Pop the distributor cap, and note where the rotor is pointing. Mark this with a Sharpie! And make sure the mark doesn't smudge off. Release the hold down bolt, and pull the camshaft position sensor connection. You'll probably need to twist the old distributor a bit to get it to start coming out. Try and twist it as little as you can, and note where the rotor is now pointing.

This is the starting point to insert the new distributor. Be gentle, bet on the oil pump moving a bit when you took the old shaft out. Turn it with a long handled flat blade screw driver. Once the new distributor is FULLY seated (you will NOT use a hammer for this!) you can check if you're on the right tooth on the cam. If you're not, it'll be very apparent. If you are off, then pull the new distributor, turn the oil pump and try again.

Once you've got the rotor in the right position, then reconnect the camshaft sensor, tighten down the clamp bolt, and install the new cap.

89xj said:
did the old dist. have a plug?

i didnt have a plastic plug when i replaced my dist on an 89.

i could be wrong, but the plastic plug is for shipping purposes.

do you have a manual as reference? long story short. rotor needs to be turned to plug one on the dist cap, engine at TDC, and must align with oil pump.

The plug is there to lock the dist from turning when it is installed.
and must be removed prior to starting engine.Mech who did the dist in the 98 used an allen wrench down from the top in the old dist to keep it from turning on REMOVEL , maybe do the same and check which hole its in to aid in the install of the new dist.
Wayne

Check out these online manuals. Yes the holes are different for the 4.0L and 4 cyl. At least according to these manuals.
Tom

So should the plug be in the first or second hole when spinning clockwise?

The remanufactued one I bought from NAPA did not have a plug in it........

i may be missing something, but dont need the plastic cap.

when you install the dist., put the rotor on and hold it from spinning.

follow chixjeffs advise and you shouldnt have a problem.

Back