• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 XJ checklist help

KingOfTheHill

NAXJA Forum User
well im going with a few people on a real trail expedition. Ive had my xj for about 3 months with only a fuel pump failure... everything else has been great..... so far i have:

Changed ALL fluids
Changed Belt
Fuel filter
spark plugs
wires
fan clutch
gdi 3 core radaitor
waterpump
t-stat
coolant
fuel pump
tires
shocks
k&n fliter

wow, guess thats a lot for 3 months...

what are some trail items i should have with me? common parts break? spare coil?

any tips would be greatly appreciated.... new to wheelin (street car guy) and im new to jeeps and dont know the common flaws yet or spare parts to carry...

thanks for any tips

JOe

BEER. for post instalation stress relief.

Since this is only your 4th post I wont say anything else other than welcome to HELL....errr..NAXJA.

HELL huh? lol... own a DSM (turbo eclipse/talon/galant vr4) thats hell.... OMG... this jeep is CAKE to work on compared to those.... hahaha

just for a little backround im KINDA a 4x4 noob but i do all my own work and have done frame off restorations on 4 cars and built many others and i know a job well done is best with a cold brew before/during and after :)

My XJ is amazing, man i LOVE this truck... it has taken me up hill's i cant believe i tried... now i just need some ground clearance and some suspension and its ON!... haha...

i just dont want to be caught offguard, like a common problem with the XJ on the trail... like a coil failure or a relay that fails commonly or a weak link in the suspension, junk like that ya know... i just like to be prepared.

thanks for the welcome to the NAXJA this should get intresting... lol

KingOfTheHill said:
HELL huh? lol... own a DSM (turbo eclipse/talon/galant vr4) thats hell.... OMG... this jeep is CAKE to work on compared to those.... hahaha

just for a little backround im KINDA a 4x4 noob but i do all my own work and have done frame off restorations on 4 cars and built many others and i know a job well done is best with a cold brew before/during and after :)

My XJ is amazing, man i LOVE this truck... it has taken me up hill's i cant believe i tried... now i just need some ground clearance and some suspension and its ON!... haha...

i just dont want to be caught offguard, like a common problem with the XJ on the trail... like a coil failure or a relay that fails commonly or a weak link in the suspension, junk like that ya know... i just like to be prepared.

thanks for the welcome to the NAXJA this should get intresting... lol

oh...it will get interesting. SIDE NOTE: Mitsubishi makes a great stereo....Their Vehilces SUCK.

welcome aboard.

What type of run are you going, how long, how far from a decent auto parts store, how difficult of a run are you doing? Are you worried about breaking stuff ie hardcore wheelin', or are you worried about those things that just might fail and leave you stranded?

never been on the trail before but the guy leading is in a 94 montero on 31's and he can do it.... he said it gets steap sometimes and some dropoff's but thinks mine can do it too (lol, if he can, I CAN or i'll flip trying haha)

i think he said its a 2-3hr trail before it comes back around... not really sure what to expect....

JOe

Back