• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front cv axleshaft replacement

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
I own an 85 xj wagoneer with cv style axleshafts instead of u-joints. Does anybody know if a cv axleshaft out of a 93 wrangler work on my 85 woody. any info would be helpful. thanks.

Wranglers don't have c/v shafts from the factory. If your referring to swapping in the u-joint style shaft, yes they will interchange from a non disconnect axle. YJ(87-95) use disconnect frt. end. The drivers side will work for you, the pass. side will not. What is wrong w/ your c/v shafts?

my bearings in the cv are gone. new part price is 75.00. I thought that maybe a junkyard could give me a couple of cv axleshafts for around the same price. One place I called said that they had a wrangler there that had cv style axleshafts on it. I think that I will just buy the new part unless there are other options out there for me. can anybody tell me if I can keep my d30 and just change out my axleshafts to u-joint style axleshafts. if I am able to what mods do I have to do?

Wranglers did not use CV axle shafts. I suspect the junkyard was making two mistakes. I think he was thinking drive shaft when you said axle shaft, and I think he was referring to a double cardan joint (which the Wranglerf ront drive shaft uses) as a CV joint. I know other people think I'm beating a dead horse, but this is why I maintain that we should not use the term CV when we are referring to the double cardan style joint. It creates confusion, because early Cherokees and Wagoneers did use true CV joints in both the front drive shaft and the front axles.

Eagle said:
Wranglers did not use CV axle shafts. I suspect the junkyard was making two mistakes. I think he was thinking drive shaft when you said axle shaft, and I think he was referring to a double cardan joint (which the Wranglerf ront drive shaft uses) as a CV joint. I know other people think I'm beating a dead horse, but this is why I maintain that we should not use the term CV when we are referring to the double cardan style joint. It creates confusion, because early Cherokees and Wagoneers did use true CV joints in both the front drive shaft and the front axles.

We have run into this problem at least 3 times this week....C/V for can on a stic DS and DOUBLE CARDAN for the 2 u joint unit. I was trying to help someone earlier this week and we where talking 2 differnt thing because of wrong terms.

slap that dead horse again!

thanks for all the info everone. it is really appreciated. I have alot of things to do to my rig before memorial weekend. I will be surrounded by about 200 other trucks and need to have my rig ready for action.

Back