• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

27 spline to a 29 spline

C85D4x4

NAXJA Member #1311
what all do i need to take from a c8.25 29 spline axle
to replace the 27 spline shafts in my c8.25?

yea yea i know......do a "Search"........but i would like to hear from someone that has done this

search and you will find someone who has done this

you'll need a new carrier

which means moving your ring gear over to another carrier

good time to re-gear / purchase a locker if your going all the way...

:laugh2: wow that really caught me off gaurd until i scrolled down

Carrier, obviously 29 spline axles shafts. When you do upgrade do your gears and a locker at the same time. Save yourself some work and do it once. A detroit or full fledged locker would take care of the lower gear carrier requirement and get you locked up at the same time.

bustercat said:
Carrier, obviously 29 spline axles shafts. When you do upgrade do your gears and a locker at the same time. Save yourself some work and do it once. A detroit or full fledged locker would take care of the lower gear carrier requirement and get you locked up at the same time.

the corp 8.25 uses one carrier for all gearsets - however, the spline count ont he side spider gears as well as the size of the hole in the carrier on each size will make the carrier change necessary

Been there , done that. XJRanger is on the money. I found it easier to just swap the whole rear end . If I had been regearing I would have just swapped the carrier and axles.

first thing you'll probably want to do is get a nice shop manual that shows all the parts that go into an axle. You might be able to find a 29 spline for less money than the parts required to upgrade your 27

Last edited:
I plan on doing this with some alloy axles and a detroit. The wheel beerings should be the same, because the diffrence in size of the shafts is where they neck down and go into the carrier. sorry for the run on sentance.

Back