• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing injectors and? regulator

3XJFamily

NAXJA Forum User
First, let me say it's parked, and won't be driven until the fuel leaks are fixed. I'm working on my daughter's 87 4.0 (140,000miles) she said it had a "funny smell" turns out the quick-disconnect on the fuel-rail was pouring out fuel - replaced it with one from the stealership, and found 1 injectors leaking bad, and another with evidence it had leaked.

It was racing when it first starts up, and had a dramatic loss of power, I was reluctant to address the power loss since 6 months ago she had outrun a cop at night in the rain (NP242 in full-time 4wd) long story but he eventually caught up. . .

Since 2 of the other injectors had already been replaced before we got it, and 2 were leaking, I just ordered a full set of Bosch injectors from Five-O and will install this weekend. But what about the Fuel Regulator? Looks like I need to get the O-rings for it from the dealer, and I'm thinking maybe just replace it while I have the Fuel Rail off.

Any easy way to test it, I think a new one is about $50 - I don't want to pull the Fuel rail a 2nd time, and risk ruining O-rings. . .

If you get the injector o-ring kit from the dealer, it included o-rings for the fuel pressure regulator. You can test the fuel pressure regulator by measuring fuel pressure with and without the vacuum line connected to the regulator while the engine is running. I can't remember what the pressure readings should be but I seem to recall that if you see a difference of 20 or more psi then it's working correctly.

Back