• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clear, greasy fluid?

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
Passenger side fluid leak. At first, I thought, crap, water pump. Then I got a better look at the liquid and it's clear. Greasy, too. Is this the fluid from the viscous fan clutch? How hard to fix? I did search, and I know how the FSM recommends testing, but I'm not drilling holes for a temp. probe. I'm mostly baffled by the color and feel of the fluid.

Could be, never seen one leak or at least never looked. Makes sense though, can't think of anything else off hand that uses clear greasey fluid.... As for replacement, just 4 real PIA nuts, pull the fan and clutch, unbolt the clutch from the fan, put new one on and put back together. This one usually draws some blood....at least as much as a serp belt replacment...

Thanks, RichP. I've never done the serp. belt on an XJ before--I just got this two years ago. So, I guess it's time I learn.

Not trying to be a jerk by bumping this up, but I really want/need to identify this clear fluid. Not water. It's greasy, as in thinned-out dish soap.

Its a type of silicone oil. very slippery, clear if new. You should see it flinging off the fan or leaking from the coupler area where the shaft goes in. Its easy to change and around $60 last time I bought one for my truck. BTW if its leaking its history.

Thanks, Kejtar and Dyna. I'll look into both. I'm really leaning towards it being the fan clutch. Dyna, yes, there does appear to be fluid that has been flung about. I've got the front skid, which makes checking some things kind of a pain--not to mention I'm at work now.

Brake fluid?

basalt51 said:
Brake fluid?
I wondered, but I don't think so because of where it's dripping. Does the viscous fan clutch leak when it goes bad?
IdeaMan, I didn't mean to ignore your questions. It did leak in my brother's driveway after getting there--about 7-8 min. drive. I couldn't really get under and look too well then. I was dropping off my boy and on my way to work, where I am now, but I plan to drop the front skid and investigate better when I get home.

Alright, damnit. I got home (ten min. freeway drive), took off the front skid, and looked around. Nothing. There was a little clear fluid clinging to various nooks and crannies, but nothing else. I let it idle at operating temp. for 15-20 min. and squeezed the upper rad. hose. Felt a little too weak, but that's it. No weeping that I can see. The bearing plate or whatever it's called seemed firm, and after shutdown, the mech. fan had some drag to it. Should I just say screw it if the temp. gauge shows normal temps?

90Pioneer said:
Can't believe on one has mentioned power steering fluid!! it's clear and greasy.
possible... but it was mentioned as a passenger side leak, so unless the leak is bigger or flows through something it will not be PS fluid.

Definitely not p.s. And I couldn't make it leak again last night. I guess I'm just not going to worry about it for now. It's not overheating (at least according to my gauge), and coolant seems to be circulating--I've got tons of heat and the upper rad. hose gets properly hot within minutes even with the hood open. I wouldn't mind preemptively swapping new stuff in there, except it was only 21* last night and it's not going to be consistently warmer for a couple weeks.

Back