• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice after $1100 Shop Quote?

KJT95Country

NAXJA Forum User
Sup all,

I just got in contact w/my local off road shop, looking for new rear leafs (mine are shot) 4 new shocks, and a 2" bb for the jeep. Since its a daily driver and will see little to no off roading, i don't want anything more than 2" and 30's- 31's, but they quoted me at $1,128.00 for the job. I think that's total B.S. personaly, because i can order all the parts online for less than $400. My problem is that it is a 95 w/some underbody rust and corrosion due to the salt up here in the north, and i have never tackled a suspension job before. I'm looking for some advice/pointers/prayers/help & any would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-KJT :us:

Actually thats about high average, at least around here. I priced an OME suspension system which included 2 full leaf packs, front springs, shocks and TC drop, $1200 installed. That was at OK4wheel drive in stewartsville nj.
The hard part is the rear springs and rust, front bolts if they break free inside the frame are an issue and the rear shackles can be a real PIA too. Rear shocks if they have been on there and the bolts break. Unless you have a warm garage to work in or can hold off till warmer weather I'd let someone else do it. If you do decide to do it yourself start soaking all those bolts and nuts at least a week ahead of time with powerblaster or it's equivilent, every day, twice a day.

RichP said:
Actually thats about high average, at least around here. I priced an OME suspension system which included 2 full leaf packs, front springs, shocks and TC drop, $1200 installed. That was at OK4wheel drive in stewartsville nj.
The hard part is the rear springs and rust, front bolts if they break free inside the frame are an issue and the rear shackles can be a real PIA too. Rear shocks if they have been on there and the bolts break. Unless you have a warm garage to work in or can hold off till warmer weather I'd let someone else do it. If you do decide to do it yourself start soaking all those bolts and nuts at least a week ahead of time with powerblaster or it's equivilent, every day, twice a day.
2X
Like Rich said, Doing a lift of any kind on a Jeep is a PITA job. On a 10 year old Jeep that's seen snow and salt it's a super PITA. Don't get me wrong, here. I would never consider paying someone to do it, I'm just saying that quote isn't as bad as it sounds. BTW, the two a day soaking can't be stressed enough, but use Silikroil (Aerokroil is almost as good-avail at NAPA), nothing else comes close.
Also, if you have to replace the leafs anyway, don't buy a BB. Buy the RE 3.5" leafs and coils. It's a far superior product, well worth the $, and will net you 3" of lift which will not effect your dailly drivability at all.
The BB will likely be an add-a-leaf setup which will cause early wear on the new leafs.

kid4lyf said:
2X
Like Rich said, Doing a lift of any kind on a Jeep is a PITA job. On a 10 year old Jeep that's seen snow and salt it's a super PITA. Don't get me wrong, here. I would never consider paying someone to do it, I'm just saying that quote isn't as bad as it sounds. BTW, the two a day soaking can't be stressed enough, but use Silikroil (Aerokroil is almost as good-avail at NAPA), nothing else comes close.
Also, if you have to replace the leafs anyway, don't buy a BB. Buy the RE 3.5" leafs and coils. It's a far superior product, well worth the $, and will net you 3" of lift which will not effect your dailly drivability at all.
The BB will likely be an add-a-leaf setup which will cause early wear on the new leafs.

He said he was only looking for 2" to run 30's or 31's for a dd. While I agree on getting a whole lift, a 3.5" RE is NOT the way to go. He will have no kind of weight for the thing and he WILL be seeing more then 3.5" out of it. I got 6" before it settled out to 5". For a dd, I can't stress enough what a OME Suspension will do for your ride quality............ :lecture:

My advice:

Do it yourself.

Keep your $1100 budget. Whatever you save on labor, spend on tools (if you don't already have a good assortment).

Plan on the install taking twice, or three times as long as planned, whether you do it or a shop does it ($$).

Gloat in your new found mechanical confidence and become that much more intimate with your pile of iron once finished.

grasseater said:
My advice:

Do it yourself.

Keep your $1100 budget. Whatever you save on labor, spend on tools (if you don't already have a good assortment).

Plan on the install taking twice, or three times as long as planned, whether you do it or a shop does it ($$).

Gloat in your new found mechanical confidence and become that much more intimate with your pile of iron once finished.

x3.14

the labor cost for the shop to install a cheap lift such as a 2" bb is probly the same to istall a 3" lift since the same amount of work is envolved.

personally i would opt for a 3" lift with full packs since you are talkin about new rear leaves anyway then adding a leaf (if you choose that get the Long AAL, not the short) & 4 new shocks to run 30 or 31s
if you plan to keep the jeep as a DD the rusty's 3" rides great (actually better to me than stock) & is a great price.
i ran it for about a year, plus if you wanted to take it offroad it will perform great, & for the resale value (if you someday do sell the jeep) the BB lift is somewhat of a turnoff to me.
another note is, stock front coils are engineered to carry the stock vehicle weight and support the recoil of stock size tires, although adding a 2" spaces to them does allow for enough room to clear larger tires but does nothing for the strength or load handling capabilities of the coil. (food for thought)

but about the shop cost that is probly ok, but i would do it myself for sure, save the Money for something else Do it Yourself.
rusty bolts to pre-lubricate & especially watch out for are the upper rear shock mounting bolts (are prone to break off in the body) & also the lower rear shock studs (my friend sheared one off when starting to break the nut loose)
if the rear U-bolts are real rusty i would just get new ones & angle-grinder cut the old ones off because they to are likely candidates to snap off @ the nuts.

which budget boost you lookin at? usually it jsut front coil spacers and rear AAl or Block. either you can do yourself and none of em require removal of major bolts. rear block would be the easiest and a 2" block wont hurt anything. just new ubolts (longer) if the old ones are rusted in place cut em off with a grinder.

the front coils are a bit tougher but nnot much. place frame on jack stands as kigh as you can go. flor jack under the axle, remove the shocks, remove one side of the track bar (frame side) drop axle down as far as it will go. if high enough you might be able to just slip out the coils if not you will need to rent spring compressers. remove coil install spacer reinstall spring. jack up axle reinstall track bar. install shocks

Re: Am I getting old?

TRNDRVR said:
WTF does that mean? :dunno:
For those suffering from excessive whiteness that would mean, "What is going on, everyone?"

kid4lyf said:
For those suffering from excessive whiteness that would mean, "What is going on, everyone?"
:roflmao:
. . . and Dan purports to be a liberal!

Mine was comparable here in the Chicago Suburbs.

My lift is an RE 6030 3.5" Superflex with full packs $499 + shipping
RE1600 Adjustable Trackbar $120
4 Rough Country Shocks+ boots $100
Rocky Road Outfitters bar pin eliminators $25 (rear uppers which will break)
Welding on those BPE's $30
Installation of above parts $713 and 2 days in their shop. Rear leafs had to be cut into pieces to remove, a royal PITA!!
Rustys TCase drop kit $25

Total $1612.00

Still have minor vibes and need work to resolve those.

The $1200 quoted you is pretty good as long as they'll warranty their work.

What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong) said:
:roflmao:
. . . and Dan purports to be a liberal!
More liberal than conservative, but I didn't know I was a "Homie".

Damn!!!!! I just tried doing some gang signs and broke two fingers. I stick to the one I know. :peace:

:D

TRNDRVR said:
More liberal than conservative, but I didn't know I was a "Homie".

Damn!!!!! I just tried doing some gang signs and broke two fingers. I stick to the one I know. :peace:

:D
That's one more finger than the official MWC gang sign.

TRNDRVR said:
I stick to the one I know.

I thought that was the universal "air horn yank" you must get daily.

Do it your self. Go pick up a few cans of pb blaster and start spraying all the bolts about a week in advance. If you don't have an air compressor and an impact wrench those would be high on my list. I use an electric impact and love it also. It makes things go quicker if you have everything you need before you start, New bolts would be a good idea and a wire wheel and a can of paint never hurt anyone.

CW said:
Do it your self. Go pick up a few cans of pb blaster and start spraying all the bolts about a week in advance. If you don't have an air compressor and an impact wrench those would be high on my list. I use an electric impact and love it also. It makes things go quicker if you have everything you need before you start, New bolts would be a good idea and a wire wheel and a can of paint never hurt anyone.

Would that include a couple extra helpers who have done the same lift before on their own?

NOT everyone has the expertise, tools etc... to do it themselves. That old a vehicle in a Northern climate, road salt, snow, cold... NO AMOUNT of PB Blaster will get those front leaf spring bolts out or keep you from breaking the upper rear shock bolts!!!

Back