• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mud Protection?

Shifty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi. I own a totally stock 2000XJ with selec-trac and factory LSD. Spring is coming and some of my favorite fishing spots can be tricky to get to. I know that there will be a fair amount of mud on the trails and I was wondering if I should take any precautions to protect my Jeep from mud. I guess what I am asking is there any weak points that the mud may harm my vehicle?

The only thing that comes to my mind is the rear corners. Pull the rear interior panels away in the cargo area. If you go out at night or in a dark garage, and shine a bright light up under the rear corners of an XJ, while looking down in the rear quarters, you'll see light in a couple different spots. Mainly where the side meets the rear. I sealed mine up with JB Weld, cause the Alaskan muskag and mud would find it's way into the quarters.

Other than that, if you still have the factory rubber mat under the engine compartment, you should be okay.

If you have to get in mud....after you get back...set a lawn sprinkler under the truck to wash off the mud from under it...you get a clean bottom and free real estate at the same time...

Back