• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing steering stabilizer?

coronaextra007

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and couldn't find much on this subject. I got the castle nut off but can't get the rest of the bolt out. It is frozen in. If anybody knows how to get it out with normal tools that would be appreciated. And if anybody has some pics of the opperation that would be cool too. Thanks.

96mdxjcountry said:
Knock the hell out of it with a hammer........seriously.....

Applied correctly, this works.

If your junk is old and busted, use some Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster on the tapered stud. Want to make sure any rust is broken down to aid in removal.

Pull on the stabilizer in the direction you're removing it. Using your hammer, smack the DRAG LINK mound (where the stud is located) on the side...don't hit the stud itself. Hitting it sideways helps 'squeeze' the stud out. This works for tierod ends, too. Keep pulling on the stabilizer/rod end while smacking it and it will come out a lot easier.

Also make sure nobody is standing down range or we'll be hearing about some shmuck killed by a flying bolt while walking his dog or somethig....
I beat the snot out of mine and it was less then 9 months old when my stock one went. Took it to the shop I bought the SS from and they did it, man, that thing came out like a shot. I hear they hang a blanket off the nose when they take em out now...

Put a huge nylon zip tie around the damper and link and tighten it a lot. Then use a pitman arm puller and a 4-way lug wrench for a good grip. Just tighten until it pops. And the other guys weren't kidding--when it lets go, it shoots off--hence the huge zip tie. You might even want to use a leather belt instead of the zip tie.

oh man i tried using a myriad of pullers but it still wouldnt budge. tried drilling it out, no good. settled with making a mounting plate and u-bolting it over the spot. enjoy!

Back