• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone had a degree shim break?

jkkj

NAXJA Forum User
I recently put 33s on and noticed when I turned to the left the driverside rear tire was rubbing in the back. Today I went to put bumpstops on so I can get it offroad and noticed that the back(thick)half of the degree shim was missing. I am assuming that this was letting the axle wrap and the tire rub. I made a quick piece of steel to fit in and get me by. I am planning on going to the kyorvpark this weekend.

This is on a 4 to 5 year old skyjacker system. Do you recon there is any since to call them and see if they think it may be a craftsmenship issue?

I haven't had one break, but I've seen them break. It's likely it broke from the u-bolts not being tight enough.......they should be checked regularly as a part of routine maintenance. No fault of the lift company.

There's also a difference in type of shim as well. It is recommended to run steel shims since the aluminum ones are usually the ones to break. Hey Goat, what kind were the ones that broke?

-Mike

I had both of the crappy aluminum ones break. They more or less just disintegrated, I think from the salt and snow in Chicago. Went down to the local truck repair shop and picked up a set of solid brass ones. They have been in there for about 2 years now and look good as new.

Back