• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 inch lift + BB

AD-8

NAXJA Forum User
i was wondering what all i would need to put a 2 inch BB into a Rusty's 3 inch lift? I m on a budget so im trying to keep it kindve cheap, would i have alot of vibes?, and could i get an estiment of the price for everything? thanks

need some more details about your current setup

AD-8 said:
i was wondering what all i would need to put a 2 inch BB into a Rusty's 3 inch lift? I m on a budget so im trying to keep it kindve cheap, would i have alot of vibes?, and could i get an estiment of the price for everything? thanks

you will NEED:
adjustable trackbar 250 for HD with mount
adjustable upper and lower control arms 400 for both from RE
SYE 169
new driveshaft 275

about 1000 when your all said and done...

wow thats alot of cash i could just buy a new 4.5 inch rustys for that price. I mean would there be alot of wobble with that much lift. Currently i am stock but i have some money soo im gonna finally lift it, 1988 cherokee 4.0 5 speed 4x4

if you hvent got anything yet, just get a complete kit for the height you need that way all your arms will be the correct length, assuming you upgrade those as well. which you should if you get a quality kit

well i just want somthing that i can install my self that is cheap. Do you all think a 3 inch lift is good or should i go for the 4.5, i think that if i get a 3 inch ill wnt to go bigger after a while. What all would i need for a Rusty's 3 inch AAL lift, i know a drop transfer case, but what else? This will be most likely my daily driver, i dont know yet though, right now im putting in a new clutch.

AD-8 said:
well i just want somthing that i can install my self that is cheap. Do you all think a 3 inch lift is good or should i go for the 4.5, i think that if i get a 3 inch ill wnt to go bigger after a while. What all would i need for a Rusty's 3 inch AAL lift, i know a drop transfer case, but what else? This will be most likely my daily driver, i dont know yet though, right now im putting in a new clutch.

3 inch lifts are nice due to the fact that you dont have to change Alot of things to make it work right for example, get a sye and new rear ds. If you go with the rustys, get the full leaf packs in the rear, stay away from the AAL, they'll be fine for a bit, but they'll sag after time, his rear leafs are known to give you a bit more then the advertised height. You'll most likley need a t-case drop if your rig is 96+ i believe.

what about lower control arms? i want good articulation, should i get some?
with just a 3inch and a t-case drop will i get alot of vibes? i read that on older jeeps the vibes werent as bad. And i know that this is off subject but are there any other advantages to getting off-set wheels other than more stability?

i assume a 4.5" lift is so that you can fit larger tires, right? if that's the case, then you also must consider diff gears, axle strength, and lockers.

once you go over 3" lift and 31s be prepared to spend a couple grand to do it right.

Good stuff Wondo...

I also wrestled with whether I thought 3" lift was going to make me happy. I literally took months to make my decision. I finally settled on a 3" kit from Rustys. I do not do any rock crawling. My motivation is fishing and I wanted my rig to be able to get me to some of the less populated spots in Colorado after I move in a few months.
The full leafs will give quite a bit more than 3". I have a .75" spacer in front now (3 months later) and the back end is still an inch taller. When I get settled after the move, I'm sure I will want to do more 4 wheeling and up my IQ. If I need the extra lift...I can change kits. I have buddies that say, "Oh...you'll only lift once." I disagree. Right now...some of these guys on here could go up much more stuff than I can with their stockers. I get scared and I don't know what to do.
As far as the vibes go...who knows man. No one will definitely be able to say whether you need a SYE or new driveshaft. If it were me...I'd budget for it. If you have any more Q's...feel free to yell this way. I asked so many dumba$$ questions while researching that I feel I owe it to the community. Cya.

-Chris

Sorry....

BrettM...Just wanted to give you some props...don't know if you're still drivin' the same rig but I recently stumbled across a boatload of pics...that thing is the mutts nuts. Awesome work man.

-Chris

if i get the AAL kit what height wil the front and rear be when settled? I need to know soo that i can go ahead and buy drop shackles or coil spacers.

Thanks guys

by the way does ne one have a picture of the aal lift with 31's?

AD-8 said:
by the way does ne one have a picture of the aal lift with 31's?
cars0023ue.th.jpg

This lift has been on for about two years, has aal. Id rather go for full packs but o well...
http://img102.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img102&image=cars0023ue.jpg

Last edited:
stay away from the 3 inch+BB and for sure dont get the aal... do the whole spring pack..... i got the 4.5 rusty's and the SYE and drive shaft for a little over 1100 bux.... if u go with the 4.5 be it from rusty's or whoever.....it will be easier to go taller in the future

oh yeah - i forgot

New brake lines 120

bringing the new total to 1120

and then you still ahve to look at the steering and all the angles that your putting on the steering that isnt designed for...

and if you go down the road of larger tires - gears are about 200 per axle with 150 instalation, and while your there, might as well throw a locker, then your looking at 600 per locker so 2000 just to make your engine keep up with your brand new 5 (yes 5 - full size spare) 33" tires and new rims so they dont rub the control arms - which cost you about 1000 - so your looking at 3000 to make your 33's on STOCK axles... then you-ll wonder why your unit bearings keep going out -

this is expensive... but - most time you can do it in steps
im sitting with my lift almost complete (still need to finish the rear and get the SYE and driveshaft) and am planning on getting my full widht axles in - still ahvent gotten the 33" tires that i want... so - ill be lifted, geared, locked, axled, SYE'd, and all on 235/75r15 tires... till i can pony up the extra $$$ for tires...

Back