• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Leaf Install Question

Infidel_XJ

NAXJA Member #1065
Yes I searched, but I'm in Afghanistan and don't have long access to the net, and I didn't find the answer on the 1st 2 pages, so bear with me...
Redid the front end completeley with RE, RUsty's and Rockkrawler stuff before I left. Took out the old leafs (yes I snapped the frame rail nut, but nothing a cutting wheel and a new nut/bolt can't fix). SO here'e my problem.

The new leafs are 4.5" leaf packs and they are way more arched than the stock ones. So the hole to hole distance is a few inches shorter on the new ones than the old ones. I thought initially that I may have received the wrong springs. I do most of the work alone, and I had a problem installing them alone. SInce they are arched more, they seem too short, so I I can't get the rear shackle bolt holes to lign up after I've gotten the front bolt in....

Does any of this make sense?

I get back stateside in 2 weeks and have to get this done before my Tellico run in May.....

ANy help/tips/tricks would be appreciated.

I haven't received my RE springs yet so don't have any tricks- but I understand this is a common issue with the RE leafs. I think most folks address it with the MJ shackles <being longer they allow more "Reach" to get to the shorter springs>.

Thanks for your service, and watch your 6!

ROCKKRAWLER spring packs.......

please dont beat me down too bad...LOL

I already had a problem with the rear eye. The bushings are on the outside and I had to spread my stock shackles to get them on (per their instructions).

Are YJ packs shorter than XJ packs?

Maybe they sent me the wrong springs.......... Not getting a very good feel for them in my first dealings with em.

when i did my re 3.5" sf kit, my leaf springs also seemed short. what i ended up doing was loosely bolting the spring into the shackle, and lined up the spring to go into the frame mount. using a jack i compressed the spring which flattened it out enough to get the bolt through on the frame mount. my shackles probably aren't at the ideal angle, but they are past verticle toward the rear of the jeep. HTH.

Where are you at in Afghanistan? I was at Bagram AF, N of Kabul, as a civilian contractor for US Army Netcom. Got stateside a few months ago. Sick of the sand storms yet? :)

About your leaves, My RE 1462's are have such a short eye-to-eye that my RE 1.25" shackles actually tilt forward (the opposite they are suppose to). I can fully vouch for the RK long-arms and coils, but cant say about the leaves.

I used the same jack trick when doing my rear leafs. I put a small bottle jack (I hear the factory jack works well for this) about halfway between the axle and the shackle. With the front spring eye attached, use the jack to push the new leaf pack down until you can line up the shackle bolt. It is surpisingly precise so lining up the holes isn't too difficult.

Thanks for the tips....... the more the merrier.....

I work on a DOD tactical team. We are all over the place..... KAbul...Qandahar.....just left camp Phoenix in Kabul heading outwest to Herat...
Sandstorms....not yet...the snow just ended and its getting warmer. I'll be stateside in two weeks again. It's getting hairier here day to day. SNow is gone in the mountains and the Tallies are regrouping and starting sh*t again....

be safe out there!

when putting leafs on mine, i had hte same problem, find yourself a 300# friend and have him stand on the leafs towards the shackle end. worked well for me.

Thanks for all of the offers..... And I did get back ok....
Like my other post said..... me and the wife are calling it a day.....
So I got pissed and installed em myself... and yes it was a royal PITA

While I was motivated, I got the F and R brake lines done, DPG bump stop plates, shocks, bar pin eliminators, fenders chopped, Kevinz rock rails installed, hood vents drilled, rock lights mounted and wired, steering conversion installed, tube doors primed, 33s mounted........

Now to get her into Appalachian for a Re-Gear and lockers...... and maybe she'll be ready for Tellico and Uwharrie this May

And maybe a freakin pic finally.....

I just got out of the US MArine Corps...3m months after I got out my unit went over....

Anyways, RAMSEY, your avatar had me mesmorized for hours!! :wow: A little smile came across my face every time the jeep got a little air.

yeah I had the same problem, and I did pretty much what was suggested above. I attached the u-bolts and slowly jacked the axle up and pryed and tapped the eyes in place... The pressure of jacking the axle up slowly spreads out the leaf pack.I wont say it was easy! ANd I was delaing with a 3" lift not a 4.5" so yours maybe a little more difficult.

96mdxjcountry said:
Yes I searched, but I'm in Afghanistan and don't have long access to the net, and I didn't find the answer on the 1st 2 pages, so bear with me...
Redid the front end completeley with RE, RUsty's and Rockkrawler stuff before I left. Took out the old leafs (yes I snapped the frame rail nut, but nothing a cutting wheel and a new nut/bolt can't fix). SO here'e my problem.

The new leafs are 4.5" leaf packs and they are way more arched than the stock ones. So the hole to hole distance is a few inches shorter on the new ones than the old ones. I thought initially that I may have received the wrong springs. I do most of the work alone, and I had a problem installing them alone. SInce they are arched more, they seem too short, so I I can't get the rear shackle bolt holes to lign up after I've gotten the front bolt in....

Does any of this make sense?

I get back stateside in 2 weeks and have to get this done before my Tellico run in May.....

ANy help/tips/tricks would be appreciated.

dont know if you got this done yet - but just dealt with this problem with my custom franken packs yesterday...

i ended up attaching the shackle to the leaves and loosening the center pin just enough to allow the main leaf to seperate from the rest of the pack and grab that extra .5" i needed...

This will suck for my down travel as my shackle now hits the shackle box at full droop, but i am working on getting Boomerang's to fix that...

the right way - longer shackle...

good luck!
-Super Newb

Back