• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91+ guage faces on 90?

T&A-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Interested in getting these..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...TRK:MEWA:IT
These list as 91+. Im not interested in the white ones and the only reason I'm interested in these to increase the visability of them as mine suck even after taking them all apart and cleaning the dust out and such.
And want to know what the difference is between the 91+ guages and the 90. Some say the faces are for 87-96 and others say 87-90 and 91-96. My guages look exactly like my wifes 94, I know they work differently but appearance looks the same.

Used search but nothing usefull came up...

Link doesn't work for me, but the 90 gauges and the 91 gauges have the same face. The earlier style faces were used in 87 and before. My '88 XJ has the "new" style gauges, with the speedo that is marked at the 5s, with a large tick at the zeros and a small tick between the numbers and large ticks (at the 2-1/2 marks).

Thge old style had a tick for each 1 MPH.

the major difference in 91+ is the electronic spedo rather than the earlier mechanical unit. I would guess that you could remove/replace the spedo from the cluster. Also both the narrow white needle and the flat wide one with the red tip were available in the early XJ's, depending on model. Don't know if that happened after 91?

hmm, well maybe ill try them and if no fit I'll put them on my wife's. I read on JU (my thread) that the trip meter reset button is in a different spot, too bad my jeep isnt here to look at both of them side by side again. I suppose I could get a 91 up cluster and swap out the speedo with my mechanical one, but if the speedo is the difference then theres no point. Not too mention all that work for guage faces..

rsalemi said:
the major difference in 91+ is the electronic spedo rather than the earlier mechanical unit. I would guess that you could remove/replace the spedo from the cluster. Also both the narrow white needle and the flat wide one with the red tip were available in the early XJ's, depending on model. Don't know if that happened after 91?

Not only that, the gauges slef , mechanically speaking, are differents too, I had to swapp al my gauges mostly when I swapped my H.O. in my 1987 XJ

I switched out my cluster with a comanche '89 because I wanted the tach, but I found a different speedo face that had kmh/mph at the wreckers from a '91.[back of the face plate is stamped '90 5 11] I'm just going to change the front face plate. Pretty easy to do if you're careful. Just ease the needle up and off using a large flat screwdriver so you won't damage it or the guage.[I work slowly both sides and ease it up] I also put the needle behind the needle stop, as when not restricted it seems to rest just below it, and thusly you can put it back in the same position when you put it back on. he needle off not to

I changed the mileage on the new cluster to reflect the actual mileage to have it as accurate as possible. Mine was in the US for a few years, and had a mph so needed to change it back again. Most here in Canada are kmh only but I just happened across a kmh/mph on a cluster some ripped apart, so grabbed it. I've not put it in as of yet, but it seems to be exact as I have on the kmh except it goes to 200kmh, and has the mph of course.
The faceplate is just held on with two screws, and thusly you don't have to worry about trying to pull out the entire guage which means taking out the whole cluster. The '90 is a bitch to do as there's not much play to get in behind, where as with the '91's up, it's a cakewalk to pull them. As well, if you just change the faces, like I'm doing, you won't have to worry at all about the mechanics at all. The rest of my guage faces are the 'newer' type so haven't bothered to touch them.

Incidently I checked my old mph cluster, and the stamp date was '82, and found that the speed didn't line up with the one I have now, nor the face plate I intend to put in at all, but the cluster fit in ok just the same. Just didn't have the tach is all.

Thanks for the help. The reset button is in the speedo face so a hole would have to be cut in the overlay for them to work. Not sure if that is do-able but might be as only the numbers and marks light up so the "indiglo" circuitry might not be affected. Have to look i guess. Maybe some different back lighting might be needed.

The reset button is different in the very early (86) clusters but the clear face plate is identical in mounts so you can swap the face plate also - at least on the 90 and back - never fooled with the 91+ units.

Was looking at another '91 today actually. I understand what you mean by the trip odometer reset being different. Seems my face plate was mod'd already to fit a '90

Back