• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How low is to low???

XJ4playin

NAXJA Forum User
I currently run 33" LTB's with 3.55 gears. I bought a NVG241OR last year and I'm in the process of installing it. I stumbled onto a crylser 8.75 out of a 70' drag car, with 4.88's, a full spool, custom 35 spline moser axles. The only thing it needs is brakes and to be set-up for an XJ. So to my question.

1st - 2.80 (AW4) X 4 x 4.88 = 54
2nd - 1.8 x 4 x 4.88 = 35

Is this to low? I've heard if you have a crawl ratio higher than 50 with an auto there may be issues when trying to stop. My auto is controled, with swithches, I have no TCU - so I figured I could always switch it into 2nd if I need to. I may upgrade to 35's in the future but as of now plan to stay with 33's. Also will this low of a crawl ratio cause more breakage in the D30 (w/ a quick-lock)? Thoughts????

You may want to upgrade that rear to disks to help stop. The lower the gears, the more torque you're going to have on the driveline when trying to stop. Otherwise, 4.88 and 33s sounds good although I'm not sure what kind of locker options you'll have for that axle if you decide to get rid of the spool.

xjnation said:
OK so whats mine MR BILLR. (hi) aw4, 4:1 klune v, 2:72 low 231, 4.56 gears.

138.9:1

I was confused at first by his notation but if you look again you'll see he has 2.80 as the AW4, and 4 as the rock-trac. But yes you definitely have a bad ass crawl ratio w/ that klune...buy me one too? :)

xjrubicon91 said:
138.9:1

I was confused at first by his notation but if you look again you'll see he has 2.80 as the AW4, and 4 as the rock-trac. But yes you definitely have a bad ass crawl ratio w/ that klune...buy me one too? :)

That is what I thought. thanks

xjnation said:
OK so whats mine MR BILLR. (hi) aw4, 4:1 klune v, 2:72 low 231, 4.56 gears.

138:1 with Klune and t-case in low.

34.4:1 Klune in high, t-case in low.

51:1 Klune in high, case in low.

xjnation said:
That is what I thought. thanks
However, crawl ratio is much more effective if the rig actually LEAVES the garage. :gag: :laugh3:
When we gonna try that thing out?

Last edited:
Back