• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Searched for my brake problem, couldn't find it

xjj33p3r

NAXJA Member #1108
Lately my brakes have been getting extremely spongy, even to the point where I can push the pedal to the floor and have the brake light turn on. At times, the brakes will stiffen up and I'll have no problems braking, but for the most part, the brakes are never firm, and it's making me really uncomfortable. There is no fluid leaking, and I really don't know much about brake systems to diagnose the problem myself, so I was hoping that someone on this forum could help me. Thankyou in advance,

Johnny

before you get too involved you might just have some air in the system, try bleeding the brakes first . then move onto the more expensive rouotes

Thanks everyone, I'll do all the cheapest things first, then move to the more expensive repairs. Changing out the fluid would probably be a good idea, and I'll get it done tomorrow as soon as I can. How exactly can I do that by myself though? I've done it before with two other guys filling the resevior and one tightening the brake line, but never by myself.

xjj33p3r said:
Thanks everyone, I'll do all the cheapest things first, then move to the more expensive repairs. Changing out the fluid would probably be a good idea, and I'll get it done tomorrow as soon as I can. How exactly can I do that by myself though? I've done it before with two other guys filling the resevior and one tightening the brake line, but never by myself.

go to checker or napa they have a small bottle with a magnet on it and several hoses. one attaches to the bleeder valveand goes into the bottle the other is a vent tube. It is a one man show. loosen the bleeder valve but not open it place the hose over the end then open the valve pump your brkaes a few times then check the master cylinder fliud level. do each one until the fluid is clear then tighten done the bleeder before you reomove the hose, you may need to empty the bottle once fot each back wheel

xjj33p3r said:

To do this job alone requires a vacuum tool that attaches to the bleed valve. Manual ones start at ~$40 and ones with a power pump start at ~$140. Search the internet for vacuum brake bleeder, or go to you neighborhood autoparts store. HTH

highhilleer said:
To do this job alone requires a vacuum tool that attaches to the bleed valve. Manual ones start at ~$40 and ones with a power pump start at ~$140. Search the internet for vacuum brake bleeder, or go to you neighborhood autoparts store. HTH

or spend 1.99 at checker for the manual unit (little bottle)

I just replaced my booster yesterday. It makes a hissing noise if your booster is going out, like a air leak. I got my booster at Autozone for $75. It wasnt hard at all to do. Maybe an hour, hour and a half tops.

Well, the brakes were so bad this morning that I was barely able to stop anywhere, and I just left it at a mechanic. If it's something pretty basic, I'll do myself of course. I mainly sent it to them to diagnose the problem so that I wouldn't have to trouble shoot so much.

One last question, whenever you guys are wheeling, and you have to really hit the brakes on an incline whether going up or downhill? My jeep had been giving me problems like that, and they got so bad that I had to use my emergency brake for the majority of braking on any incline. It also helps as a semi-locker :D

My problem has been fixed. It was the master cylinder, so I went by Oreilly's, bought a refurbished one, and with the help of friends, I replaced it while bleeding the system as well. It stop like it should now, with the pedal nice and stiff.

Back