• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slip Yoke Eliminator / Shaft Q.!

diegom6

NAXJA Forum User
I have the NP 231 T.C. and manula Transmision, AX15 in my Cherokee 1987 Dana 44, and have the old outend shaft style version of the T.C. and I'm thinking to buy the SLip Yoke Eliminator.

But before this, I really would like to know;

-Is the same lenght (all the conjunction) as the old style system?

-I will have to change my rear shaft for the new yoke system due the possible lenght size difference?

My OEM rear shaft it's twisted due the high loads & torq and probably inadequate operation and I have in my yard one Rear Grand Cherokee shaft that is bit larger than mine and has the newer u-joint style, so, I want to cut, balnace it and put it back in my XJ but before doing it, really need know if the SLip Yoke eliminator will change the lenght of the shaft and not to re-cut/enlarge & balnce the sahft again if later I go this route.

PS: What is the name of those heavy and hard spicer U joints? ax100?

Thanks

My advice would be to get one as a package deal. You can get a complete kit through Tom Woods for $400 or so. It is money well spent with the satisfaction that you got a drive shaft that is the correct lenght for your rig. Also comes with all new U-joints so you eliminate that worry. Tom also guarentees against damage due to a broken u-joint. It's money, but a good investment.

I see, thanks for the advise but would like to see more incoming suggestions and info.

I would really like to see if is the same size as the old style for my custom shaft.

Rubicon Express has the Kit but just the the parts and not the whole setup,and I really thinking about buy it.

The SYE will change the length of the driveshaft as well as the end. RE's Hack-n-Tap uses a flange at the upper end, although you can also get some that have a yoke there instead. While I have no problems recommending RE's hack-n-tap SYE, I can't recommend their driveshaft. I've had a few problems with mine and can't advise it for anyone else.

Tom Woods (www.4xshaft.com) is a great source for a driveshaft but he won't warranty a driveshaft for use with the RE hack-n-taps. He builds the shaft to fit measurements you make on your own vehicle so there's no concern about the length.

what about the 97 & UP OEM slipe yoke eliminator that comes in the XJs? I was wondering if buy a junkyard 97 & Up transfer case a use it, and from it, select the saft that i will use, is the same as Rubicon's Kit sell?

diegom6 said:
what about the 97 & UP OEM slipe yoke eliminator that comes in the XJs? I was wondering if buy a junkyard 97 & Up transfer case a use it, and from it, select the saft that i will use, is the same as Rubicon's Kit sell?
There's not an SYE in the OEM transfer cases. 96+ use a longer, unsupported output shaft that is the whole reason we have vibration problems in those models.

The Jeep Rubicon Wrangler (TJ and LJ) has an SYE from the factory in the NV241OR transfer case.

Yucca-Man said:
There's not an SYE in the OEM transfer cases. 96+ use a longer, unsupported output shaft that is the whole reason we have vibration problems in those models.

The Jeep Rubicon Wrangler (TJ and LJ) has an SYE from the factory in the NV241OR transfer case.

Do you have actually pics to compare both systems and see where exactly are the differecnes?

Rubicon Express sell the SYE so? as 4xshaft.com? do you know?

Thsi is a pic that i took from 4xshaft.com, it's that the SYE? cuz it looks very similar to the 97 & UP XJ transfer cases outter shafts

hd_conv_sm.jpg

Last edited:
That looks exactly as the sye and driveshaft i have ordered and gotten from Tom Woods a week ago. The only thing i dont like about that is that AA aluminium housing. In my opinion it should be manufactured using something harder, a piece of that small flenge on the surface where you put gasket maker was already broken off when i got it.

Back