• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 locker options

thisfirstlove said:
haha

thanks for that

Is the 27spline 8.25 stronger then the 27spline D35?
Yes, aside from the D44, the C 8.25 is the strongest axle out there (we are talking stock XJs here).

the 29 spline is much better though. check out www.rocky-road.com i think they have a lockright for hte 27 spline for pretty cheap

depends on how and where you wheel. i was a tad worried with my 29 spline locked with 4.56s on 33s. i have two spare shafts to take care of that though. i will probably run 35s on it one day as well, but would probably upgrade to dutchman shafts. anyways...i would run open in hte back and use that 300$ towards the 8.8, and not have to worry as much about breaking

$250 sounds like a good deal for a complete 8.8 up here (at least for where I've looked) Where is "local" for you?

thisfirstlove said:
i never even thought about that...my local yard said they want 250 for the 8.8 w/ disks...yea or nea?
most definetly do that instead of a locker. you'll regret it in the long run if you dont and then you lose money when you sell your axle to upgrade later. do it now and dont lose the money

Ramsey said:
most definetly do that instead of a locker. you'll regret it in the long run if you dont and then you lose money when you sell your axle to upgrade later. do it now and dont lose the money

Yeah, i cant belive i didnt think to just get the 8.8...ive got the front locked already anyways that should be good enough till i get the 8.8 and re gear sorted out. Local for me is Merrimack NH zip is 03054 i think

Sorry to Hi-jack, but I do have the 8.25. Can anyone tell me right off if it is the 27 or 29 spline in 1996? I was debating a cheap locker in my rear this afternoon. If there is a remote possibility that I might want to go d44? Would it be worth searching down an XJ d44 and going with a locker?

Would it be worth adding a locker in the front or upgrade first the diff first?

Thanks
Jason

JMotorsprt said:
Sorry to Hi-jack, but I do have the 8.25. Can anyone tell me right off if it is the 27 or 29 spline in 1996? I was debating a cheap locker in my rear this afternoon. If there is a remote possibility that I might want to go d44? Would it be worth searching down an XJ d44 and going with a locker?

Would it be worth adding a locker in the front or upgrade first the diff first?

Thanks
Jason

'96-'01 is a 29 spline('95 is also a 29 spline I think), the 27 spline ran from '91 - '94,

I run a 27 spline with a lock right and 33's and haven't any problems yet. We'll see what this year brings!

the only way you will know is if you pull the shaft and count

XJ4playin said:
'96-'01 is a 29 spline('95 is also a 29 spline I think), the 27 spline ran from '91 - '94,
SPOBI.
Ramsey said:
the only way you will know is if you pull the shaft and count
Best advice so far on this hijack. Most 96 XJs with the C8.25 had the 27-spline axleshafts, but late (very late) in the 96 model year some XJs picked up the first 29-spline C8.25.

I just verified last week that I have 29 splines on my 8.25. It was built in October '96. Check the tag on the inside panel of the drivers door for the manufacture date. I was talking with another '96 owner recently that was built in March '96 and his is 27 spline. Sometime between March and October the change took place. I know it's a broad range but it's the best I can do.

why not get some 29 spline shafts and a 29 spline detriot locker and be done with it. Plenty strong enough for 33's

Back