• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax-15 to aw4 swap

davidt

NAXJA Forum User
I am doing an ax-15 to aw4 swap on my 1990 mj this weekend. I am going to the junk yard to pull everything off of a cherokee from the engine back including TC. Here is a list of what I figure I will need, correct me if I am wrong, add stuff etc...
AW4 transmission
torque converter
trannie cooler lines
trannie cooler
bellhousing
flexplate
wiring harness for trans and tcu
TCU (computer)
shifter + bracket
downshift cable
driveshaft (already have one out of an auto)
starter (maybe) not sure

Also, I know I want a 91 plus for the 23 spline t-case, but what year has the higher OD?
Are most of the connections there to plug the computer into?
Also, any other problems I might run into or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. David

Last edited:
Id grab the crossmember too just in case and the trans mount too. alll the wiring will be plug and play but its a PITA pulling through the firewall behind the defroster fan assembly. It mounts on the back side of the passengers dashboard knee panel

davidt said:
Also, I know I want a 91 plus for the 23 spline t-case, but what year has the higher OD?
Thanks. David

87-90' Pre High Output OD = .70 21 spline
91'+ High Output OD = .75 23 spline

I'd suggest the 91'+ for the 23 spline, the .05 more gear reduction will be pretty insignificant. What gears are you planning on running in your diffs/what diffs?

Big Red said:
87-90' Pre High Output OD = .70 21 spline
91'+ High Output OD = .75 23 spline

I'd suggest the 91'+ for the 23 spline, the .05 more gear reduction will be pretty insignificant. What gears are you planning on running in your diffs/what diffs?
I am going to be running 4.88's or 5.13's with 33's or 35's, just don't know yet, still trying to decide what to do with the rest of suspension/drivtrain etc. As far as the 91+, does anyone know if there are any wiring differences between the HO and the non-ho?
XJeeper, good call on the x-member (and thanks for the original parts list ;)), I will grab it....

Ditto on the starter.

May also want the pedal assembly so you can get rid of the clutch pedal and move the brake pedal over.

Also will need the TPS. Grab the engine wiring harness with the bank of relays on it, unless you like splicing it will be easier. The computer is under the glove box.

Rear driveshaft will be no good for you as MJs are different than XJs but the front should work.

T-case shift mechanism.

I didn't bother with the cable running up to the steering column, too much work!

Good luck!

cLAYH said:
I also swapped out the engine computer. They are differnt part numbers, probably just software. Not sure what the difference is.
Where is the engine computer located? How difficult was it to swap? Thanks for the help...

Make sure you have the shorter flexplate to crank bolts. The longer ones from the flywheel configuration will not work.

Dragging this up from the dead, I purchased all of the aforementioned parts, my question is if I use the awshifting kit, do I need the trans computer (I already ordered the awshifting kit), I could not find it and I pulled apart the whole dash. :( I also got the CPS, but not the cable running up to the steering column. The tranny came out of a 93 jeep cherokee with only 49,000 miles on it. The trans fluid smells good, and there are no shavings, so it should be good to go (I bought the warranty just in case). What exactly does the cable that goes up to the steering column do? This begins the official tech portion of this thread, hooray!
The main reason for the swap is because I got denied on the v-crack because I kept stalling, so I have to make up for my lack of skillz with an auto :p
DSCF2062.jpg

still good
DSCF2059.jpg

Oops, fell in
DSCF2064.jpg

another try (and the carnage), the caption should be "why is my steering acting funny
Moonrocks10-1-05001.jpg

I will update this thread as I get things done, should be withing the next few weeks

The cable going up the steering column is the safty lockout so the tranny can not be shifted into gear without the key in the ignition. I didn't bother as it looked like a pita to to do. Caution though, after the conversion more than once I left the tranny in D and started to get out and noticed it rolling. Having that cable forces you to put in in park before allowing you to remove the key. Now that I'm used to it its no problem. Just was used to leaving the manual tranny in gear.

Yes, you need the computer as well as the wiring harness for it. Looking under the hood look at the back of the valve cover on the passenger side. You will see a gromet and wiring going thru the firewall. This is the wiring harness for the tranny. Go into the the passenger compartment and look under the dash on the right side, find the gromet and wiring and follow it to the computer. Its under the glove box about the size of a deck of cards.

Whem I did my conversion I had to swap out the engine wiring harness as well, it all one piece with the tranny wiring harness. It was all pretty straight forward, plug and play. Not sure about yours though, mine was an '89 donor into my '89 rig. You may have more problems if using an HO tranny.

Sorry just re-read your post. No idea if you need the computer with the Awshifting kit. I did the "2nd gear please" mod(very handy) and for that you need the computer, well for sure the wiring harness, but its nice to have the tranny fully automatic.

It seems to me that the tcase shifter bracket was different as well. It has been a couple of years since I did it. The list didn't include a new TPS and you may or may not have the bracket that holds the cable from the throttle body down to the tranny.

cLAYH said:
The cable going up the steering column is the safty lockout so the tranny can not be shifted into gear without the key in the ignition. I didn't bother as it looked like a pita to to do. Caution though, after the conversion more than once I left the tranny in D and started to get out and noticed it rolling. Having that cable forces you to put in in park before allowing you to remove the key. Now that I'm used to it its no problem. Just was used to leaving the manual tranny in gear.

Yes, you need the computer as well as the wiring harness for it. Looking under the hood look at the back of the valve cover on the passenger side. You will see a gromet and wiring going thru the firewall. This is the wiring harness for the tranny. Go into the the passenger compartment and look under the dash on the right side, find the gromet and wiring and follow it to the computer. Its under the glove box about the size of a deck of cards.

Whem I did my conversion I had to swap out the engine wiring harness as well, it all one piece with the tranny wiring harness. It was all pretty straight forward, plug and play. Not sure about yours though, mine was an '89 donor into my '89 rig. You may have more problems if using an HO tranny.
I also did not use the cable from the floor shifter to steering column. I figure that if you are used to having a manual, you are used to not starting it in gear.

old_man said:
It seems to me that the tcase shifter bracket was different as well. It has been a couple of years since I did it. The list didn't include a new TPS and you may or may not have the bracket that holds the cable from the throttle body down to the tranny.
I had no issues with t-case linkage in going from a (88) Peugeot to (96) AW4, not positive about the AX15 though. He doesn't need a new TPS because he's not going to use the TCU, so the vehicle essentially still thinks it has a manual tranny. Yes, the TV cable (kinda like a kickdown cable) is needed and the bracket on the throttle body.

thanks for the responses, I never could find a good write up on this and I hope to give people a better idea about what it takes to do this swap. I don't need the t-case linkage as I am running a dana 300 :D

I have the new tranny in but now my jeep won't start. I tried putting the jeep in neutral and no luck. It turns over fine, but will not start up. Any ideas on what may be wrong??? thanks in advance.

davidt said:
I have the new tranny in but now my jeep won't start. I tried putting the jeep in neutral and no luck. It turns over fine, but will not start up. Any ideas on what may be wrong??? thanks in advance.
when you swapped the wiring harnesses make sure that the clutch interlock wire tied into the NSS. Actually for test purposes I'd get the wire that went to he clutch interlock and I'd ground it and see if the jeep starts or
just push the clutch in :D

Kejtar said:
when you swapped the wiring harnesses make sure that the clutch interlock wire tied into the NSS. Actually for test purposes I'd get the wire that went to he clutch interlock and I'd ground it and see if the jeep starts or
just push the clutch in :D
thought it didn't matter, I never had to have my clutch pressed in to start my jeep before. BTW, it is a 1990 jeep comanche :p

Back