• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhad Display - Compass/Temp work, nothing else

TroyAndEddie

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 overhead in my 91. The keyless entry module is not wired up (don't need it). Question is, the compass and temp work, but when I press the Comp button to toggle through the other info it just goes blank. I press it again, and it comes back to the compass/temp. I thought it was supposed to give mpg and mileage info also. Anyone got any ideas?

I actually just completed putting a '91 into my '90 Pioneer. [except fo 5 wires I have no clue what they are for. 3 on the dash side, 2 on the console side]
If you look at a '91, it's basically the same as earlier consoles, and has only compass and outside temp. I've found the only real difference is the swtiches, and how the light 'cage' is done. [one of my swtiches is screwed, but keep finding the older style is why I know]

I'd suspect that the '96, although has extra info that it can give in it's computer, it won't work due to the fact it needs extra sensors somewhere that it needs for that information. Unless you know what/where the sensors are, and can somehow mod them into your '91, they're pretty much useless at this point.

[If you somehow can get it mod'd, I suggest doing a write up on it, as I've yet to see one done for any overhead install. Working on doing one at present for what I've done with mine]

Good luck!!

The 96 XJ overhead console doesn't have a mileage option; it's just good for temp and direction.

TroyAndEddie said:
Yeah, I just got off my lazy @$$ and looked at the owner's manual. Another useless post brought to you by me. :)

Na, not useless.........it's all about learning, and hell, if others can get some info form it, it's def not useless........it's all good!

Back