• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

frame rails

a good cage is probably the best way to give the unibody more overall strength. for the frame rails themselves a lot of people weld on angle or channel (search for "sleeve"). there are also weld on frame stiffeners from a few companies. do a little searching.

clayman said:
does anyone know a good way to strengthen frames rails on and xj?

94 xj 4.0 auto 4 dr 2wd

Weld metal to them. :)

We've done it in a wide variety of ways. Two things are good to do, run a plate along the bottom to keep it from crushing in, and tie the front control arm mount and the rear (front) spring hanger together for stiffness.

http://www.tntcustoms.com/

I was the prototype -- they fit really well, and provide alot of stiffening to the frame, as well as skid protection -- Bob is a great guy to work with. :wave:

xj-grin said:
http://www.tntcustoms.com/

I was the prototype -- they fit really well, and provide alot of stiffening to the frame, as well as skid protection -- Bob is a great guy to work with. :wave:

I made mine in probably one weekend with about $30 (or less) in steel. Take a 3x3 angle iron, hold it up against the frame rail, cut the vertical piece in one spot to open up, cut a V in the vertical piece to close it in in another spot and it will fit like a glove. Now the tric is that you need to get someone to weld it up for you.
After I had the shape made, I've drilled the frame rails and sleeved the holes and bolted the whole thing up.

i agree... the TnT stiffeners were based off of my rig and help out a LOT with stiffening everything up. the only bad thing is, now i hear where the rest of my rig is flexing: rear hatch area.

sometimes, ignorance is bliss. :)

I just bought some 3"x4"x1/4" angle today to do my frame rails. 10' with a single cut was $28 at my local steel yard. Gives me 5' to play with for each side, a good start at least. Should hopefully do the install this weekend with lots of pics to go along.

thanks for all the help. ill let you know what i choose and how it works out. maybe take pics so you other that are interested can do it.

clayman, where in San Diego you located? Maybe we could have a "Beef up the freame rail" party and do both XJs at the same time. I have full access to a welder, plasma cutter and various other fun tools. :D

xtremewlr said:
I just bought some 3"x4"x1/4" angle today to do my frame rails. 10' with a single cut was $28 at my local steel yard. Gives me 5' to play with for each side, a good start at least. Should hopefully do the install this weekend with lots of pics to go along.

Started the install of the angle today. No pics as yet, those will come tomorrow. Drivers side is mostly done, just need to do some final welding and clean up then paint. Pics will follow tomorrow evening so stay tuned :D

Back