• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Oil Pump

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing my oil pump on my 89 tommrow and I am am looking at Napa (online) and they have two different models.

#1) Clevite Oil Pumps Oil Pump 6011173 $ 74.99
#2) Clevite Oil Pumps Oil Pump 6012006 $ 81.99 w/ Screen, High Volume Pump

So is there a difference for the $7??? Should I go with one of these or a different brand/store or any other opinions?

Thanks
Chris

w. screen just means with the pipe and screen that go down into the oil pan. when i replaced mine i just used the old screen. it wasnt to hard to do. i also got mine from napa. its only been in there for 3 months but so far so good. oil pressure is good.

If you replace the old pump, make sure to tack weld the pickup screen to the pump body. It's rare that they fall out, but you'll be glad you welded it in if it decided to fall out.

all you need is a tack...not a bead.

Im glad I found this post. Im going to replace the pump in my 94 as well. Im going to go with either Melling or Hi-Tech. But I would like to know which would be better. A standard pump or a high volume like geonicol said. Will there be any adverse effects to running a high volume pump on a stock motor in a daily driver? Any advantages?
Im gettin mine through autozone.
Standard Melling without screen is 74.99 LLT warranty.
Screen is 19.99.

High Volume Melling WITH screen is 74.99 LLT warranty.
They are the same price...hence my confusion. Ide love to pay the same amount and get a new screen and high volume.

Justin

Storydude said:
If you replace the old pump, make sure to tack weld the pickup screen to the pump body. It's rare that they fall out, but you'll be glad you welded it in if it decided to fall out.

all you need is a tack...not a bead.

the 4.0 screen has a strap that loops uner amount bolt no weld needed.

high volume comes with a screen because it has a larger diameter inlet and a stock screen doesnt fit.

high volume vs stock... for the minimal price difference...get the high volume

I rebuilt a 90 4.0L for a friend of mine (87-90 are basically the same)

he got a high volume oil pump.

I had to "modify" his oil pan just so the pump would fit.

take that into consideration (measure)

CheapXJ said:
I rebuilt a 90 4.0L for a friend of mine (87-90 are basically the same)

he got a high volume oil pump.

I had to "modify" his oil pan just so the pump would fit.

take that into consideration (measure)

How did you modify it?

Back