• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone Ever Have Problems With Rusty's 3" Kit?

eric91xj

NAXJA Forum User
I know alot of people don't like rustys and personally i dont' like dealling with him much either but all problems i've heard about his suspensions just seem to be with his 4.5" and up systems.
Anyone have problems with sagging springs with his 3" kit with the rear packs?
Just curious cause you really really can't beat that price for a kit with rear packs.

thanx,

Eric

NO SAG with the 3" packs. Riding high at 3.5 for as long as I had them on!!! I was actually hoping it would sag...js

You know you are just asking for a flame war. I had Rustys 3" kit and wheeled it hard for about 1 1/2 years and then went higher. My friend has those springs on his for about a year and still no sag and they ride excellent.
YMMV,
Crunch

Wow...... 2 whole hours......... Anyway, I have Rusty's 3" kit, and I'm sure if I weren't running with a C4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, and didn't carry 300+ pounds of tools and spares, the leaf packs would have held up. My next springs are going to be RE 4.5" ZJ coils and BOR leaf packs. Not because I'm unhappy with Rusty's, but because I've seen how well the other springs work.

Sorry guys, i was'nt implying to my post, i was talking about the forum in general, just thought there has'nt been as many people on as usual lately, maybe i'm just going nuts. Anyway thanx for the info on the kit, cause i'm dead broke and can't really afford an SYE or LCA's or a new Track bar thats why i just wanna stick it to 3" for now and it just seemed to me there was'nt really a better deal out there ($418) for a 3" kit with rear springs, front springs and 4 shocks. By the way think with cutting up the front fenders and maybe doing some relief cuts in the rear and folding i could fit 32"'s?

thanx guys,

eric

I've had Rusty's 3 inch kit for 3 1/2 years. So far, I have not noticed any sag, and the only problem I could report is that the shocks make noise up here in Indiana in the wintertime. If it gets below 20 degrees or so, they clunk on bumps. Goes away when it gets warmer. I have the add-a-leaves, and they creak, but hopefully if you get the whole packs that won't be an issue for you. I have custom 4x4 bumpers front and rear, and the jeep sits like factory. And I think the ride is better than stock. I was on a budget when I ordered it too, it's a good deal for the money. As for the 32's, I had a tire shop stick a 32 on my xj just to see if it would fit and it would not, you will definitely have to trim the fenders. And make sure you saturate all those bolts with some good quality penetrating lubricant for a few days before the work. It'll save you alot of heartache and cussing.

For all of you with Rusty's kits, could you please do me a favor?

Grab your lower shock body close to the top, where the shock shaft enters the body, and move it in a direction vertical to the shock's axle, just grab it and move your hand back and forth.

Do you notice any movement as if the axle is not rigidly mount inside the body?

Rgds

Thats not uncommon nor a problem(unless it extreme).The more they are extended the more movement youll see.its just the clearance of the main body piston seal and also the clearance iin the stem seal!
If you could reach inside your motor and grab a "connecting rod" you would really see some "slop"

RCP Phx said:
Thats not uncommon nor a problem(unless it extreme).The more they are extended the more movement youll see.its just the clearance of the main body piston seal and also the clearance iin the stem seal!
If you could reach inside your motor and grab a "connecting rod" you would really see some "slop"

Would you consider about an inch of sideways movement as extreme or normal?

The reason I am asking is, because at this moment, all my Rusty's hydraulic shocks exhibit this, actually one of my fronts has almost an inch of play. Rusty says it is normal. I've never had it on other shocks, but then I never had hydraulic shocks on my trucks or cars.

Thanks for your time.

Rgds

My shocks are solid. Of course, I can't afford to do any hardcore off roading. But I did just go out and do that. I had worried about that before with the noise they make in cold weather, but I had not tried that in about a year and a half. They still ride great, but squeak a little bit on large bumps.

FWIW: I just took the shocks off from my Rusty's 3" kit the other day and you can take all four of them and shake them and hear the hydro fluid sloshing around like their half full cans of soda. That's with about 40k miles on them. The coils and rear add a leaf held up good... no complaints there.

Back