• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sye or ??????

sloppyjoe

NAXJA Forum User
I just lifted my jeep with a 4.5 in kit. There came some very upsetting vibes. I looked under at the rear driveshaft and discovered that there were only an inch or so of splines. Alittle info. I have a 231, but the yoke does not slide into the housing, the shaft is fixed in the t case. So this is what I did. After sitting on my rump with the shop guys, we went out to the shed and found a shaft out of a newer XJ 99 I think. I took it over and low and behold it splined right on to the shaft coming out of my t case but we had a bit of a problem. We did have to cut like .5 in off the rear of the yoke for this to work. What it boils down to is the new shaft is longer and the youke from the other style t case slipped right on sooo.. I have all splines in contact and no vibes its cool. Does any one know of this swap or should I do a more in depth write up. Also what is the difference between my 231 and the others with the slip yoke?

d_shaft.jpg

That's an SYE on the new-style NP231, found in the 96 and newer XJ. The t-case output is a solid shaft with a seal under the rusty brown disk on the end of the t-case housing. These are the ones that are more prone to vibes when they are lifted, but that seal at least allows you to remove the driveshaft when needed. The driveshaft itself has a large female fitting at the upper end.

Your profile says '94 so you should have the old style t-case. There's a seal around the opening of the t-case output, and as long as the driveshaft is in place it won't leak. Since this design doesn't have as much unsupported length it dosen't vibrate nearly as much.

Check out old_man's cheap SYE setup for the old t-case at http://www.4x4getaways.com/oldmansye.htm - it seems to be down right now though.
My SYE writeup including other pictures is at http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/sye.html

I wish I had pics bc its hard to explain. The XJ I used to own had a completly different tcase than this one and they were only 1 year apart 93, 94. I have just a shaft on mine now that comes out of the case. and the shaft has the yoke on it, and splines onto the shaft that protrudes from the case. I just wanted to post it for others who might have the shakes, and want to fix it this way, bc it worked really well. No vibes.

Back