• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powertrax disassembly dilemma

Pappy

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a used complete 8.25 axle 29 spline with a powertrax installed. Didn't feel good about just swapping it into my 99 Cherokee with out looking at the ring and pinion ect. and checking the condition of the powertrax. I got the cross shaft, 8 springs, both sets of double springs out. I pushed the axle shaft in to reveal the c-clip in the slot but the c-clip open end is facing the wrong way to come out through the slot. The clip will not rotate inside the locker to line up with the slot. I can rotate the axle shaft but the clip remains stationary. I tried pushing the clip with a small screwdriver through the slot, even light hammer blows on the screwdriver will not rotate the clip. Am I doing it wrong or do I need to start getting tougher with it? My back is killing me from literally hours of stooping over this thing and I need a little help, thanks in advance.

Pappy, I'm sure you know the clip is there to retain the axle shaft. I found that, with the cross shaft out I could push the shaft in(from the end where the tire goes) and get a little room to spin the c-clip around. Also, I haven't done this for a while but shouldn't it just fall out? Or is the locker case keeping it from that? I found it to be a real pain in the ARS as well as the back. Good luck and keep us posted.
Stukboy

Stukboy, I've been reading as much as I can about it. I found that a lot of guys had to grind the diameter of the c-clip to make it small enough to fit through the slot and I am wondering if this one might have been ground but not enough to make it fit loosly in the housing, but loose to have spun around 180 degrees? Everything is lined up and the clip should drop out, except for the fact that the clip is pointing the wrong way and it won't rotate. I guess I'll just keep trying.

Yea, that sounds wierd that it won't rotate. This is a dumb question but i'm inclined to ask. Have you tried the other side? Since there are two c-clips I would think they wouldn't both be stuck in there.
Again, Good luck and keep me posted. Now i'm curious!!
Todd

I don't have the install instructions to reverse to take the locker apart, but you have to take the c-clip out to remove the axle in the side with the slot first to start the locker removal process. The other axle can't be pushed in far enough to get at it's clip without first removing most of the locker. If I ever get it apart I'll let you know.

Back