• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS, or no (first post)

3312DC

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
This is my first post... be kind.
I am planning on purchasing a late model Cherokee as a daily driver. I plan on some offroad, but I want to make sure to do everything right. The Jeep im looking at is a 2000 Classic, with 56K, power locks, windows etc/ but no ABS. Is this going to be a problem, and is the ABS offered on these Jeeps even that good? Ive never owned a vehicle with ABS, so im not terribly worried about it, I just dont want to regret this decision later. Also, could you all give me a list of items I should look for before purchaseing. Thank you all very much, im looking forward to joining the world of Jeeps (if you all with have me).
Cale
Sorry about the newbe post

Seeing where you are from, if this is a daily driver you might want ABS for winter driving. If it was me and was buying to build up as a real off roading XJ I would find one without ABS. Any Axle changes or upgrades can be made more difficult, if not impossible, without eliminating the ABS. So figure out what you're going to use it for most and make the desision from there.

Good luck

mark
orgs mfg

Unfortunately almost all (99%+) XJ's with ABS also have the much weaker Dana 35 rear axle in them. The 97+ XJ's without ABS have the much preffered 29 spline 8.25 rear axle in them. This would be a very good trade off in my book (-ABS, +strong axle).

3312DC said:
Hello,
This is my first post... be kind.
I am planning on purchasing a late model Cherokee as a daily driver. I plan on some offroad, but I want to make sure to do everything right. The Jeep im looking at is a 2000 Classic, with 56K, power locks, windows etc/ but no ABS. Is this going to be a problem, and is the ABS offered on these Jeeps even that good? Ive never owned a vehicle with ABS, so im not terribly worried about it, I just dont want to regret this decision later. Also, could you all give me a list of items I should look for before purchaseing. Thank you all very much, im looking forward to joining the world of Jeeps (if you all with have me).
Cale
Sorry about the newbe post

I 'll second the other answers you got, having the ABS is a good thing for normal driving. My other truck (i.e. not the XJ) has an ABS and it has saved me on a couple of ... hairy situations. The truck almost got lifted on its front bumper.

The ABS, apart from making upgrades more difficult, as it is already mentioned, has another side-effect. When driving off-road, you sometimes depend on locking your wheels, to stop your forward momentum. The ABS is working against you in such cases, so what I've done is to add an On/Off switch, which takes the ABS off, when off-roading. It's nothing difficult and does not affect your brakes in any way, exept as intended. When you are off-road, cut off the power to the ABS and it is off. Back on the road, restore power and you are all set. The tell-tale light will even work, to remind you that the ABS is off!

Rgds

Back