• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JKS short arms or true long arm setup?

Atl-Atl

NAXJA Forum User
Heres the deal, I am about to lift a little more, so Ill have 4-5" total. I was thinking of going with JKS short arms, but am now realizing that I could do a good long arm setup for only a couple hundred bucks more. I dont want to have to weld a longarm bracket setup to my frame though. Id like to keep everything bolt on. I know Rustys makes a bolt on long arm setup, does anyone else? Or, for only 4-5" should I just stay with short arms? My plan is to have more downward flex than upward(big tires + lotsa bumpstop), and thats why I started to look at longarms, they are pretty good at droop ;) What do yall think? I guess I could always get JKS arms and if I dont like them, sell them, they seem to be a pretty hot commodity on the used parts market!

There are a few things that will determine your droop other than your arm length, such as shocks, bind, etc. Don't assume because the arms are longer so is the travel/droop.

Just position the lower short arms for better angles. Higher on the axle mount, lower on the frame, the lower arms will have near stock angles. Does require some welding though, doesn't keep everything bolt-on. So this way you won't have all that crap under your belly -hangin' up on everything (..here we go....).

Atl-Atl said:
What do yall think?

I think you shouldn't sacrifice compression for extension, but that's my opinion. Flex looks cool on the ramps but means jack crap on the trail. The further your tire is away from the body, the less weight you have on it...thus losing your traction.

FWIW, of course.

Save the couple hundred bucks and skip the long arm on 4-5" of lift. You really don't need it till over 6". More stuff does you better on the trails with keeping the center of gravity lower then more droop. In my opinion, skip the bumpstops and cut the fenders.....

xtremewlr said:
Agreed. Dont need no stinkin Fenders :D

well, when the title of the vehicle isnt in your name, sometimes you have to do as the owner pleases. Or at least be able to make it look as if nothing has changed!! So that means, being able to bolt on the stock fender flares :(

Back