• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Broken Rear upper shock bolts

On a buddy's 94 we had to cut the rear deck on the inside to get access to the shock mount bolt retaining nuts. We were able to drill out the bolt and then had access to re-tap the weld nut for a new bolt. wasn't hard, in fact easier than attempting all this from the bottom only, but he did end up with 2" holes in the rear deck, which we just covered.
Took us all of 5 minutes to decide to cut the deck as opposed to try this from the bottom end. But maybe someone here has done this successfully from the bottom only.

smack the broken bolt with a nice 5 pound hammer(mini sledge) and a chisel .it will cause the welded nut to break off of the crossmemeber .tight fit but there should be enough room to get the broken bolt and nut out and slip a new nut up there.just use some loctite when reistalling.

heppened to me too.....hold the shock up in there like youre gonna bolt it up, but turn it about 1/4 turn in there where its recessed still and shoot some self tappers in it......then roll yourself out from under there, dust off your shoulder and have a cold one.......you just experienced something thats probably happened to every XJ thats ever been wheeled...

u expect self tappers to hold your shocks in place haha. rember it's only going thru sheet metal those will work loose and fail at probably the worst possible time.

Self tapping bolts won't work. They work loose.

Yes, every XJ owner has had this problem. I just sprayed the bolts with PB Blaster and let them sit overnight. They came out with some vice grips. But I had some threads sticking out.

DaffyXJ said:
On a buddy's 94 we had to cut the rear deck on the inside to get access to the shock mount bolt retaining nuts. We were able to drill out the bolt and then had access to re-tap the weld nut for a new bolt. wasn't hard, in fact easier than attempting all this from the bottom only, but he did end up with 2" holes in the rear deck, which we just covered.
Took us all of 5 minutes to decide to cut the deck as opposed to try this from the bottom end. But maybe someone here has done this successfully from the bottom only.

X2, I actually got lucky when I did the lift on my 91, Not a one broke. But this was going to be my method of choice if any did break. Like Daffy said I think it would be much easier to work from the top then to work from underneath, drying to drill them out or hammer them while lying down.

I even reused them on the new shocks for a few months till I put bar pin eliminators on. Talk about luck. :party:

Definitely hammering out the broken bolts is the best way. I broke 3 on my classic 84 and just used a cheapo air hammer/chisel on them and they popped right out. Then I just dropped some bolts in through one of the larger holes and pulled it through the bolt holes. Worked mint.

simple fix, pound out the welded in nuts and get your self a magnetic reacher, some new bolts, lock washers, and regular washers. Assemble the bolt, washer and lock washer together, use the magnetic reacher to hold them together, and slide the bolt assembly, through the the channel off to the side of the shock mount, pull the bolt through the hole, put the shock up and tighten with a nut.... done.

Back