• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cranks but won't run

Mike L

NAXJA Forum User
I was on my way out to run a couple errands when all of a sudden the Jeep stalled out and died. It wouldn't restart or anything. Right after i checked the codes with the key-click method and the only code was for misfire. I figured amybe some water got into the cap and was causing some arching. I pulled the cap off and no water was in there. It was dry. The cap, rotor, plugs, and coil was all changed a few months back. I checked the bleed valve in the fuel rail and made sure there was fuel there and there was.

One guy was nice enough to stop and we pulled a plug to check for spark. He grounded the plug while I cranked it and no spark. I figured if it was the CPS then there would be a code for it. Since nothing new was happening I called Triple A and had it towed back home, which is where it is now.

Everything being new do you guys have any ideas on what else I should check. Later on today I will unplug the coil and make sure voltage is getting to the plug. If so then I will see if there is spark going from the coil. What is the easiest way to check this?

If the coil went out there wouldn't be a code for it, right? I did some searching and saw mention of an ignition control module. What is that? Would that cause any codes itself? I also checked the codes with a plug in code reader and there were no codes that way as well. It looks like the misfire code is gone now. What else could cause the thing to misfire?

-Mike

The CPS is the most likely. A year and engine size would help.

old_man said:
The CPS is the most likely. A year and engine size would help.

Sorry got lost in the details. 96 4.0 AW4 231 w/ 155k on the clock. If it was a CPS wouldn't there be a code for it? At least before when a CPS would go out there would be and the same for the MAP sensor. Thanks.

-Mike

Sorry to hijack but my Jeep has done the same thing. The only difference was, i was able to get it started and it ran for a couple feet then stalled again. Checked for spark and their was no spark. Also checked the fuel rail and their was fuel. By the way its a 92 Jeep Cherokee 4.0lt H.O aw4 4x4.

MudslinginXJ said:
Forgot to mention that error code 11 came up as well as 55.

Code 11 usually means the CPS needs to be replaced. Check HERE. That should help out. Code 55 just means it is the end of the codes.

Back to my problem. I went out and looked at the thing and kicked the tire and it didn't start. :wierd: I was looking at the TPS and was gonna take it off to look at it and I noticed the bolts holding it were kind of loose. I pulled it off and it still looked good and clean and I put it back on and made sure the connector and the bolts were tight. After I did that, guess what. The damn POS thing fired right up and ran. I turned it off and on a few times and it seems fine. I let it run up to opertaing temp just to see what would happen if anything out of the ordinary would happen like stall out and it was fine. I took each TPS bolt out one at a time and put a dab of blue loctite on them so they wouldn't work loose again. Any other ideas? That was just weird.

One more question: while inspecting the wires around the coil and alternator I saw an extra wire coming off the harness with a round plug: PIC 1 & PIC 2. Any idea what this wire is and should it be plugged into something? All the gauges on the dash work fine: tach, voltage, oil, etc. Thanks.

-Mike

Mike L said:
Anyone know what that plug is for?

-Mike
i have the same connector on my 89 and it is disconnected.

sorry but i have no idea what it is either.

its probably for an accessory that you dont have.

89xj said:
i have the same connector on my 89 and it is disconnected.

sorry but i have no idea what it is either.

its probably for an accessory that you dont have.

Ok sine someone else has it disconnected I'm not too worried about it then. Thanks.

-Mike

Back