• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone used those new cleanable oil filters?

Jeepin Jason

NAXJA Member #1100
http://www.trufilter.com/home.htm

I can't remember what mag/4x4 show I first saw them at, but they look pretty slick, and I just got a press release on them, so I was wondering if anyone had tried one out yet?

They're not cheap though, retail is about $142 a pop. :gag: But, it would be the "last oil filter you'll ever buy", and they claim you can extend your oil change intervals to 7k miles (I'm already doing 5k as it is with M1 synth oil and an oversized filter). Mainly I'm curious about them for their reusability, so you're not chunking a filter full of oil in the trash every oil change.

For $142, I can buy 47 oil filters... IF i changed my oil every 3,000 miles, thats 141,000 miles before I would even break even with this cleanable filter.

Then theres the fact that you have to clean it... lets be honest, I hate changing my oil as it is... I would HATE to have to take the time to get extra oily to clean that thing out.

I mean, it's an interesting idea... but definatly nothing I would ever consider to be worth the money. Bring that down into the $40 - $50 range, and then I might consider it.

-jm

HTeK said:
For $142, I can buy 47 oil filters... IF i changed my oil every 3,000 miles, thats 141,000 miles before I would even break even with this cleanable filter.

Then theres the fact that you have to clean it... lets be honest, I hate changing my oil as it is... I would HATE to have to take the time to get extra oily to clean that thing out.

I mean, it's an interesting idea... but definatly nothing I would ever consider to be worth the money. Bring that down into the $40 - $50 range, and then I might consider it.

-jm
yeah, what he said.

I don't know I would consider something like this. I don't know if it is better though... But maybe it is ... I would have to see some independant studies before I would lay downt he cash... and i use mobile 1 oil filters and at 10 bucks a filter that would take 14 oil changes or about 30000 miles for me as I change mine at or around 2000 miles... changing your oil is the cheapest and best thing you can do to keep your motor happy and healthy. But at 142 bucks... i agree 50 bucks and I would do it.

old_man said:
I never change my oil. Here's what I run. Don't laugh. They work.

http://www.wefilterit.com/

It uses a roll of toilet paper

Does the oil really stay clean... I know the only reason that you have to change oil is because it gets dirty they oil doesn't lose its ability to lubricate... I would consider this thing long before that cleanable one. Maybe when I put the V8 in my YJ i'll get onea these. but in the XJ i think the only thing holding the motor together is the dirt in the oil...

At 42 microns it would barely filter out "sand"!!!!!!!!!

RCP Phx said:
At 42 microns it would barely filter out "sand"!!!!!!!!!

me again... :)

that is what I mean! I use to work on ATVs and Motorcycles and the wire filters on those things never did a thing... there would still be tones of clutch material and metal in the oil on every machine...

ok i'm gettin outa this tread for a little bit.

The Frantz filter is rated at .1 micron and is certified for use on aircraft by the FAA.

The only reason I could see running that TRU filter, is because it's "PURDY." :)

I could see if you have a decked out engine compartment, then a fram sure grip might look a little tacky. lol

The only down side to extreme filtration (.1 micron is astounding) and extended oil change intervals is the degradation of the anti oxidant and the lubrication modifiers which are effectively "used up" in the long run.

In our fleet we use oil analysis to not only determine the actual condition of the oil, but to monitor the wear rate of the engine. As an example...if you start finding copper in the oil, you know the bearings are beginning to go.

I agree that 40 microns is nowhere near fine enough filtration.

Back