• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Summit Exhausts

ncwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
has anybody had any experience with the summit turbo muflers? I need a new muffler. I was also thinking about a thrush. I know they aren't as good as a Borla or Flowmaster, but they are cheep. What about a glasspack? I dont want too much flow so ill be burning oil like a riceburner.

ncwheeler said:
has anybody had any experience with the summit turbo muflers? I need a new muffler. I was also thinking about a thrush. I know they aren't as good as a Borla or Flowmaster, but they are cheep. What about a glasspack? I dont want too much flow so ill be burning oil like a riceburner.

Never used the Summit muffler, but I just got a Dynomax Super Turbo cat back from them for $89.

if you are talking about the $14 summit mufflers, I had one on an s-10. 2.5" variety. Sounded good, gave the truck a slight rumble.. not annoying like a glasspack.. for the price, I couldnt go wrong..

Don't know what they'd sound like behind a 4.0, but I am running a pair of them behind the 390 in my F100, and I like them. I have no idea how they compare to Flowmaster/etc. performance wise, but its hard to beat the price.

Travis

I love the sound of my cherrybomb. I have one of the ones that has the little bumps inside and not the fiberglass. I got it for free from a jukyard so I couldn't beat the price. I also hollowed out my cat which IMHO makes it sound a helluva lot better.

The flowmaster is indeed the toughest....I have Dynomax on my XJ and MJ...the sound is pleasing without being loud....and so far I haven't killed one yet...the glasspacks are tough because of their spun or welded construction and have no sharp edges to hang up on...the generic "turbo" mufflers work well but are made of thin gage material. An interesting note is the I-6 motor is much easier to muffle than the I-4 motor...If you want the real deal "turbo" muffler, they are still available from Walker.

As a little useless trivia...the "turbo" muffler was designed for use on the mid to late 60's turbocharged Corvair Spyder.

Back