• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dual odyssey 1200 batts?

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Anyone have any experience with the Hawker Odysseys in their Jeep? I'm looking at a pair of the PC1200MJT.

These will be used for starting and winching in the trail rig, plus removed and wired to 24v for welding (with a RWII)

Odyssey claims a life of 400 deep-cycles (assuming a 'deep-cycle' means one trip from full charge down to zero) which is pretty awesome when ya think about it. Any hints/tips on charging? I have a small 1a/h cycle batt charger which ought to be gentle enough.

I've had great service from Exide (NAPA) Orbital deep-cycle in a pure 'start battery' role, but the Odyssey is very compact & relatively light. (fit two in a bit more space than one typical auto battery.)

OK!

I run one huge 1700 in the stock location plus a little more.

I have killed that thing more times than I have kept count. It keeps coming back strong. I charge it back with a regular battery charger. It will take all you can throw at it.

:D

hinkley

i have one 1200 now. In place of two optima yellow craps (got 3 dead in yakima if anyone thinks they can get them warrantied) I can't kill it runs the winch all 1100 watts of lights, the stereo, the winch and keeps coming back for more

Now if i can just win the lottery to buy a second one.

Dingo

Also interested, What is the advantage of the metal shielded models vice the non shielded. Anyone know :dunno:

Thanks
Rob

i bought mine from Summit racing for around $190. I imagine either summit or jeg's will have the best price.

As far as the steel sheild it helps the case reatin it's shape especially in heavy vibration. If i remember correctly hawker will not warranty a battery failure caused by vibration UNLESS the steel sheild is used.

As i was told by hawker technical these batteries where originally designed for the Military H1. apparently there is some law that states a manufacturer cannot sell the exact same product to the government and the general public, so the odyssey for the public has a red plastic top, and the military odyssey has an olive drap green top. The internals are identical.

As a side note I will never run another optima after using this battery. So far it has shruged off anything ive put it thru had it in for over a year now.

Dingo

Dingo509 said:
As i was told by hawker technical these batteries where originally designed for the Military H1. apparently there is some law that states a manufacturer cannot sell the exact same product to the government and the general public, so the odyssey for the public has a red plastic top, and the military odyssey has an olive drap green top. The internals are identical.

I really doubt that, as everything the Military uses is 24v. I've driven a few military H1, & I don't remember ever seeing anything that resembled an Odyssey under the seat.

Thanks for the info on the shielding though

Rob

FELIX said:
I really doubt that, as everything the Military uses is 24v. I've driven a few military H1, & I don't remember ever seeing anything that resembled an Odyssey under the seat.

Thanks for the info on the shielding though

Rob

yeah i know there all 24v that's just what i was told. although do they only run 1 24v battery or 2 12v? ive never been close enough to one.

Dingo

Dingo509 said:
yeah i know there all 24v that's just what i was told. although do they only run 1 24v battery or 2 12v? ive never been close enough to one.
Dingo
I think I remember them running 1 batt, & they weren't even sealed batts. My mind is getting fuzy, Got out Nov 97, so maybe he's right :dunno:

Rob

Back