• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Caliper Bolt stripped

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
Changed my front brakes tonight and stripped the hole in the knuckle where the bottom caliper bolt goes.
Thinking Heli-coil and wondering if anyone has had this problem or fixed it this way. I have another knuckle but would have to get the TRE hole tapered from the top and just don't feel like going through the work.

If anyone has done the Heli-coil repair do you remember what size it is? Metric or standard?

Thanks for your help

Many times. The bolt I think is a 8x1.25 metric. The cast knuckle drills and threads relatively easy. Put red locktite sparingly on the OD of the helicoil, screw it in, break the tab and let it sit for a while to cure the locktite. Screw the bolt in a couple of times without the caliper to make sure it turns smoothly.

explorer said:
Many times. The bolt I think is a 8x1.25 metric. The cast knuckle drills and threads relatively easy. Put red locktite sparingly on the OD of the helicoil, screw it in, break the tab and let it sit for a while to cure the locktite. Screw the bolt in a couple of times without the caliper to make sure it turns smoothly.
Thank you sir! Just the info I was looking for.

and i found what i needed if i just would have searched :doh:

yeah i saw that, got plenty of bits, but as for as taking care of the hole and thread that is it?

Back