• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle vents??

dphillips

See,what had happened was
I am plannig on lenthening the axle vent tubing on my front axle (2000xj). I think it's a D30. It's dry-rotted and needs replaced anyway. How is it actually attached to the axle? Does it just pull out? It apears to be slipped over a pice of plastic that is sticking in the axle housing, however, the plastic piece is so loose I can't see where it is even doing any good. Anybody have any pictures of this or something similar?

That piece in the housing should be tight.On my 96 it was a brass fitting.run a length of new hose up to the top of the fire wall.Get a 6 ft piece of hose and run it from the vent along the control arm and up the firewall.Reuse the vent from the old hose.
Get some tube connectors and lengthen the vent from the transfer case as well.
Wayne

I plan on doing this (see below) or something like it one day. Dont' know the specifics exactly -- maybe it's to easy for anyone to have done a "write up" becuase I can't find one :p

following is from a jeep creep article I found

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/questions/2003_02/

While you're at it, upgrade your breather hoses on the front and rear axles, the transfer case, and the transmission with high-quality fuel line. Use stainless steel hose clamps to secure them and route them all into a single line that eventually leads to the driest part of the Jeep, usually within the interior of the Jeep behind in or near the glove box. At the end of this line, use a fuel filter that is connected in such a way that the arrow (flow of the filter) points away from the fuel line. Point this end downward.

This will add life to the various components of your Jeep by keeping your fluids free of water and other contaminants.

On the rear axle breather... how does the tube attach at the uniframe? Does it just pull out? I want to change mine and run it up to where the front is. Never really gave the T-Case vent a thought. I'll check that out.

you know I haven't even looked for 'em all yet, just one of those things on my to do list.... bumping this up....

i just read an account of a fairly new Liberty owner who's rear diff breather got clogged and his filler cap (due to pressure I suppose) blew off coming back from a ride... resulted in toasting his rear end -- or so the post said....

The rear vent just pulls off of the connector that is on the unibody. I ran the vent line from the rear, along the inside unibody and spliced into the Tcase vent line with a barbed T connector and clamps. I also extended the tranny/Tcase vent under the hood. Just allow for any droop you may have when determining the length of hose from the axle to the first connecting point on the unibody.

worked for..just a method you may want to consider.

later
David

The AW4 vent tube is located in the bundle of wires at the shifter on the tranny .I placed a tubing connector inthe line and extended it to the top of the firewall with the others.
Wayne

Back