• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabricating a gun rach for your XJ

BIG-G

NAXJA Forum User
As it is im fabricating up all of my own armor such as rock sliders under my smitty nerfs, skids & belly pans, etc. I got the idea that ive NEVER seen a gun rack inside an XJ so the question is to many of you that would love one, if you could have a solid made gun rack custom built into your XJ where exactly would you locate it inside the XJ??? As soon as just a few of you give me a location and maybe a few specs like how many guns it will hold and either a mix of rifles and shotguns, i will build a template to show exactly how it will look and work. The idea is capable of anything because i can make the holders taylored to a specific gun for greatest comfort of locking it into place and removing it for use. AS the rack itself goes, just think of all thats around it so i can design the best i can, (example), build the gun rack to mount it on the roof!!! KEEP SAFETY IN MIND AT ALL TIMES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

BIG-G said:
As it is im fabricating up all of my own armor such as rock sliders under my smitty nerfs, skids & belly pans, etc. I got the idea that ive NEVER seen a gun rack inside an XJ so the question is to many of you that would love one, if you could have a solid made gun rack custom built into your XJ where exactly would you locate it inside the XJ??? As soon as just a few of you give me a location and maybe a few specs like how many guns it will hold and either a mix of rifles and shotguns, i will build a template to show exactly how it will look and work. The idea is capable of anything because i can make the holders taylored to a specific gun for greatest comfort of locking it into place and removing it for use. AS the rack itself goes, just think of all thats around it so i can design the best i can, (example), build the gun rack to mount it on the roof!!! KEEP SAFETY IN MIND AT ALL TIMES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

I prefer not to advertise that I have guns in my vehicle, especially by leaving them in plane view.

Now a fishing rod rack. That'd be something I'd be interested in.

as part of the headliner and they aready make one for the cherokee. It looks like part of the headlines but the rifle slides in like an envelope over the drivers head.

There's also the rear roof-mount style that Cabela's has. But I definitely agree with not advertising that you're carrying them.

Gonna have to agree there... ^^

Not to put down your Idea but any gun rack is like an invite for some jerkwad to break your window to steal a firearm for crack $$ or possibly hold up the local convinence store with the gun you so kindly provided him....

If it mounts to the roof like the link above it's either gotta use holes through a roof brace or a jam fit between the sides of the roof... Neither of which would stand up to someone hanging from them with the intention of stealing something...

at that point they just need a sawzall or a hack saw and patience to extract the gun from your locking mechanisim...

I guess my point is you should find the MOST secure and totally invisible location to put a gun rack... and then make it out of 1/4 steel and weld the SOB to the floor or ceiling.....

What do you need a gun chillin in your rig for all the time anyway? IF i was a hunter I'd get a good locking case and make sure if the firearm is with me, it's within visual range.

you spelled rack wrong :laugh3:

Gun rack Site said:
Item notes
These racks are attached with self-tapping sheet metal screws. The customer should make sure they have a double wall roof before they attempt installation.

Yeah... sounds like these are a recipie for a stolen firearm or fishing pole... just bring 200+ pound friend or an electric drill....

If I were to build these they'd be secured in place with bolts... and use TORX or a Metric Allen bolts to trip up would be theives......

might be kinda cool to try and do one of those roof mounts up with brackets for a highlift jack and maybe a small tool box with some light hand tools and a first aid kit.. keep it up off the floor and secured to your roof by straps in the event of a roll over...

I can't think of anything more embarassing than being bludgoned to death by a first-aid kit...

though it might end up getting in the way of rear visibility if you put too much up there.....

I'd like a place to put my guns when I go hunting. The back would be good, up high. The rack would have to be able to be removed pretty easy though so I could store other things in the back whan I'm not hunting. As far as leaving guns in it all the time I don't think a hunter would leave guns in the truck all the time, and if the gun is for self defence then a pistol is the way to go. One more problem for me is that my favorite hunting gun is 61" long. Maybe justa a rack for my kids guns.(yes my 12 year old daughter has a gun, we hunt together) Good idea overall though.
Steve

I always thought It would be interesting to build up the floor about 4-5", and carpet the top. Make a storage box where I could put the gun case in as it could double as storage for smaller items. Maybe even a lockable case under the rear seat. That way at first glance, It would look like a fairly standard floor.

The only time I have left a gun in the car, was when I stopped to eat on the way home from a hunting trip. And even then it wasn't in plain view. I would like to find something better than the litle hooks in the rear to secure it down with (I transport my rifles and shotguns in cases). The last thing I want is for a rifle to be bouncing around in the back of the Jeep, even in a case.

I you have a rollcage you could mount it to the main bar(just behind the front seats) on the backside. If your interested in them www.galls.com has them for police car roll bars made with time locks, in witch you can mount the release button anywhere you want to. But i do agree with the other posts about leaving it in all the time.

copperhead said:
I always thought It would be interesting to build up the floor about 4-5", and carpet the top. Make a storage box where I could put the gun case in as it could double as storage for smaller items. Maybe even a lockable case under the rear seat. That way at first glance, It would look like a fairly standard floor.
That was my plan as well, but I got carried away and made it a bit taller. You'd need to cover the entire floor so as to not make gaps near the edges that will otherwise make the storage box stick out like a sore thumb. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/storage.html

Well...I think a rack is definitely in order...I was thinking of maybe an overhead console type rack that could fit an 18 in. bbl. shotgun say a mossberg 590 and/or a 20in bbl AR type weapon. Not sure of how to mount it up there is the only problem? Do you have any ideas in the works yet?

Go look at a WWII jeep or M151 quater ton, rack is a boot on the floor, spring clamp on the dash, holds the weapon muzzle up. Pretty simple. There are also boxes that can be set in the floor, protrude thru, 1/8 or 1/4" armour, had an 8"x12"x3" thick mounted in my dodge van, once I got it in I undercoated the heck out of it from underneath.

Back