• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much play should a DS have?

DaveD912

NAXJA Forum User
First off it's a stock '01 Sport with a 231 and an 8.25 axle with only 17K - I am the second owner. I heard a noise coming from the rear this morning when I put it in gear. I only get the noise in gear, not in nuetral or park. The noise goes away when I start moving. So, I pulled over and got under the Jeep - exhaust is tight and shocks are tight. I can rotate the DS about a 1/2 inch and when I shake it, I've got about a 1/4 inch of play at the slip yoke. Is that normal?

When you say you can rotate it...is the output shaft rotating too or just the slip joint on the spline? Also when you shake it...are you shaking in and out or back and forth?

If your rotational play is in the spline you need a new one. If it's just play in the gearset in the t-case you are fine, it's normal to have that much.

If your rotational play is in the u-joint that can be replaced easily.

The rotational play is in the t-case. The 1/4 inch of play is when I shake it side to side. There is no play at all back and forth. How often should the slip yoke be lubed and what's the preferred lube?

I'm not sure you should have that much play side to side. Is the play in the u-joint or in the slip joint?

I don't have any experience with the newer models but on my '96 (which I think is the same), there was no way to lube the rear slip joint. I suppose if you wanted you could remove the driveshaft and inspect the splines in the slip. Spread some grease on there if you want.

Also, in your first post you said you had a noise...what kind of noise? knocking, vibrating, etc.

I'm not real good at describing noises... but it's a deep vibration noise. My first thought was a loose shock, but they don't move when shaken. I believe I'm still under a 7/70k driveline warranty, but I prefer to do my own work.

I would almost bet you have a bad u-joint.

I'd describe it as a high speed knocking - it has a deep tone. That's why my first thought was the rear shock mount. The noise is totally gone once I start moving. I may go against common sense and just get under the Jeep while someone (I REALLY trust) gets in and puts it in gear.

I forgot you said it was only making the sound while the jeep was still. This eliminates the u-joint as the culprit and also the shock mount (it can't make sound while sitting still).

I would crawl under while someone was sitting in the jeep foot on the brake, and e-brake tight. Watch for the exhaust contacting somewhere, possibly at the rear shackle.

Has it only happened just this once? Have you done any other work to it that may have caused it. My Jeep has made noises before that made me wonder and then never made them again. Could be nothing to worry about if it's only happened once.

I just took it for a drive on lunch and couldn't reproduce the noise. Perhaps I'm being too critical of a 4 year old SUV; it was colder than normal this morning. Thanks to all who responded :)

DaveD912 said:
Perhaps I'm being too critical of a 4 year old SUV

Try not to be, they are quirky, stubborn, rusty, & a dime a dozen, but you will learn to love it.

BTW...you may be the only Jeep on naxja to still have a warranty.

DaveD912 said:
I'd describe it as a high speed knocking - it has a deep tone. That's why my first thought was the rear shock mount. The noise is totally gone once I start moving. I may go against common sense and just get under the Jeep while someone (I REALLY trust) gets in and puts it in gear.

I'd put a bet that its your transfer case handle. Push down on it next time you hear the noise and see if that makes it go away. If that works to solve the issue then just chalk it up as a quirk of your XJ. One in common with others.

XJFang - if it ever comes back, I'll give that a try. Thanks.
Just in case this comes back on a search I want to clear up the warranty info I gave earlier. Since my XJ was a Certified Pre-Owned from Jeep I have an 8/80k warranty on the Powertrain. I called my local Jeep service and they said it does include U-joints.

Dirk Pitt said:
Try not to be, they are quirky, stubborn, rusty, & a dime a dozen, but you will learn to love it.

BTW...you may be the only Jeep on naxja to still have a warranty.

I love it. If I knew how much fun I was gonna have crawling around underneath my 01 I would have bought one years ago. The only thing that compares is crawling under my old 68 Camaro project car. But I like the Jeep better because I can actually get my fat a$$ under it without a jack.

Back