• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a 5spd trans from a 97 wrangler fit in my XJ ?

BEVAN

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and could not find an answer:

I Have a 93 XJ with a bad trans (AX-15), a friend has a manual trans and transfer case from a 97 wrangler...

(both are 4wheel drive)

Can I swap ?

They will match up, but you may run into issues with them being clocked a little different and you'll have to do some creative fabrication to the t-case linkage to make it work.

JBFried67 said:
They will match up, but you may run into issues with them being clocked a little different and you'll have to do some creative fabrication to the t-case linkage to make it work.

My T-case is still good,just the trans is bad,will the
wrangler trans interchange btwn the cherokee t-case ?

BEVAN said:
My T-case is still good,just the trans is bad,will the
wrangler trans interchange btwn the cherokee t-case ?
Yah both should be 23 spline but as said before the clocking is off I believe on the tail of the tranny not the TC so you may need to change out the tail section to keep the correct clocking otherwise you driverside drop on the TC will be about 7 degrees to much clockwise and will hit the floorboard of your XJ when bolted in place. People will debate if this a TC or tranny diff but back before I converted mine to the AX-15 I had a BA/10 and I got a spare from a YJ and the clocking was off and I had to change out the tail section. The TJ may be the same I don't know for sure but you CAN make it work with what you have it just may take some swapping parts out.

Zipdrive007 said:
Yah both should be 23 spline but as said before the clocking is off I believe on the tail of the tranny not the TC so you may need to change out the tail section to keep the correct clocking otherwise you driverside drop on the TC will be about 7 degrees to much clockwise and will hit the floorboard of your XJ when bolted in place. People will debate if this a TC or tranny diff but back before I converted mine to the AX-15 I had a BA/10 and I got a spare from a YJ and the clocking was off and I had to change out the tail section. The TJ may be the same I don't know for sure but you CAN make it work with what you have it just may take some swapping parts out.

Thanks for the replies,If anyone has any input please add...

This is what I ran into with a 99 TJ AX-15/NP231 in my 88 MJ:
22358720.jpg

Cuts it kinda close with my custom crossmember but doesn't hit. I haven't a clue how close it'll be with the stock crossmember and an XJ.
19251331.jpg

This is my custom shifter bracket (just a pice of steel with holes in it). The linkage istself is a mix of TJ parts and 86 MJ parts (the 88 was 2wd so I had nothing to start with).
22091458.jpg

This was the easiest fix. I used a compression fitting from the hardware store to adapt the new external slave to my existing master.
13992327.jpg

All my pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/petermontie
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

Back