• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackles and brake lines

5Cent

NAXJA Forum User
Deciding to go with 1" shackles, who makes greasable ones? Also, if I remember correctly stock YJ lines work for extended rear lines, what about the fronts? Are stainless that much better?

Ok, looks like Jason at Jeepin.com has the best things going. He's got JKS 1" shackles, and RE's kit for front and rear brake lines. I was also thinking of some 3 or 4* shims, haven't looked at the actual angles, but I imagine it's close to that. Anyone have any experience with aluminum shims? Which is better, steel or aluminum.

Thanks,
Adam

definitely go steel if you can. I've run Al shims in the past and they were OK. Why do you think you need shims though? RE's steel shims are only available in 4*, 6*, and 8*, but you might could find some in other *'s elsewhere.

JKS would definitely be what I'd recommend for some good 1" lift shackles. RE's are nice too, and they're a bit cheaper, but they're also 1/4" shorter (despite what RE claims).

brakelines... well, personally I like stainless and we run RE lines on both our Jeeps, and sell quite a few of them. I have read instances of the fittings breaking, but in the 2 years we've been selling them, we've only had one customer come back to us with a problem with them. I've been running some form of RE stainless brakeline on my XJ since '97, and have never personally had a problem with them (knock on wood trim). YJ rubber lines work well too, depending on how much lift you've got and what your suspension setup is.

Well it's about 3.75" up front, and 3" (+/- 0.250) depending on load with this setup:

Lift:
OME 934 Coils
2 stock isolators (each side)
OME HD Leaf Packs w/JCXL added
OME SD-40
4BDS Long Travel Shocks
RE Fixed Superide LCAs
RE Gen II discos
JKS Adj Tracbar

I haven't checked the actual degress of the driveline, but I figured 3*-4* would be good, especially with 1" shackles.

Thanks for the information Jason, you'll be getting an order soon. Do those RE shims come as a pair or single? and what length of brakeline do u recommend for both front and rear?

The shims come in pairs and include new center bolts.

The rear brakelines come in three lengths: 18", 22", and 24". We've always sent out the 22" lines (RE1513) for the rear. Front lines are 20", 22", or 28", and we usually have the 22" (RE1550) sent out. The RE1560 front/rear XJ brakeline kit comes with the 18" rear line and the 22" front lines, which would be fine for your lift.

I don't see an SYE in your list, so there'd be no need for shims.

Jeepin Jason said:
The shims come in pairs and include new center bolts.

The rear brakelines come in three lengths: 18", 22", and 24". We've always sent out the 22" lines (RE1513) for the rear. Front lines are 20", 22", or 28", and we usually have the 22" (RE1550) sent out. The RE1560 front/rear XJ brakeline kit comes with the 18" rear line and the 22" front lines, which would be fine for your lift.

I don't see an SYE in your list, so there'd be no need for shims.

Good deal on the brake lines, and I thought u could use shims to help rotate your axle back to help get the angles closer?

well sure, you use shims to turn your pinion up or down, but without an SYE, you shouldn't really have any need to use shims though. The lift shackles will tilt your pinion up slightly, maybe about 2*.

Jeepin Jason said:
well sure, you use shims to turn your pinion up or down, but without an SYE, you shouldn't really have any need to use shims though. The lift shackles will tilt your pinion up slightly, maybe about 2*.

Gotcha, thanks. Orderin now!

Back