• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overcooling issues

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
Of course it has to happen to me, but that's just my luck.

My jeep normally runs cool (150-170) but for the last 2 days the jeep overcools (the gauge barely reads)

6 month old thermostat (with bleeder valve)
6 month old temp sensor
6 month old heater control valve
original fan/clutch
new serp belt (if that matters)
old coolant(3 yrs) that is being flushed/changed as we speak

No heat in the cabin, and the mechanical fan constantly runs. I did the search, and checked the fan clutch, and it seems like there is very little resistance either cold or lukewarm.

Any suggestions on what the hell is going on?

Any and all help is appreciated.

John

update:

No fault codes
completely covered radiator with cardboard... temp rises slightly
a little warmer in cabin but by no means hot.
I checked the upper rad hose, and it gets hot. It also gets hard/soft before after the thermostat opens

:dunno:

the thermostat is most likely stuck open so the jeep never has a chance to warm up. Replace the thermostat, and cut the little wiggle valve out of it for a steam vent.

Clean-RC said:
the thermostat is most likely stuck open so the jeep never has a chance to warm up. Replace the thermostat, and cut the little wiggle valve out of it for a steam vent.

wiggle valve? you mean the BB? :D

Check if all 4 tires are.......nevermind :D

if the gauge is not reading then I would suspect a stuck open thermostat....at least partially, seems a good place to start.

Rev

I just had the same problem, and a thermostat swap fixed it right up.

I put in a stat without the jiggle valve and it works fine.

Well, it seems like it was a combination of the fan clutch and the T-stat.

I really wanted to think it wasn't the t-stat, but the K.I.S.S answer was too simple...plus it was new. I bought one of the "good" ones that lock open when they fail... It locked open, but after I unlocked it, it worked fine. I replaced it anyway.

I'll check my tires for ya Rev.

Back