• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MTR's in the mud...

thisfirstlove

NAXJA Forum User
how do they do? i know they are a "mud terrain" but are they better same worse then pro comp or bfg muds? i ran bfg's and had good perfromance but not teh best, im wondering if MTRs would bet better. Im also thinking about going TSL radials. I really just wheel in the mud, which do you reccomend?

MTRs are an agressive all terrain. They do good in rocks and on the street, thats it. They suck in the mud. Get the TSL radials or Trxus Muds.

I'm running MTRs now and they are OK in the mud but they don't clean themselves very well. Have you looked at the Baja Claws? I used to run them and they were great in the mud. The only reason I went to MTRs is because I went from 31s to 33s and I got a great deal on a set of very lightly used MTRs. The Baja Claw radials which I ran did have a weaker sidewall. I cut one on a rock but if you're mainly into mudding I highly recommend them.

Mud is not one of the MTR's strongest areas, but otherwise a great tire. I love mine, and plan on replacing them when they wear out. Yeah, they don't clean out very good once the treads are full of sticky mud.

thisfirstlove said:
how do they do? i know they are a "mud terrain" but are they better same worse then pro comp or bfg muds? i ran bfg's and had good perfromance but not teh best, im wondering if MTRs would bet better. Im also thinking about going TSL radials. I really just wheel in the mud, which do you reccomend?

Actually, MTR are not a Mud terrain, tehy are built for Maximum Traction and Rocks....hence MTR. I have heard, they do not clean as well as a BFG, but have never tried personally.

LTB's are good in the mud... but if ya need a good street tire that does well in mud get the trxus or tsl radial

tcm glx said:
Actually, MTR are not a Mud terrain, tehy are built for Maximum Traction and Rocks....hence MTR. I have heard, they do not clean as well as a BFG, but have never tried personally.

Actually they are Maximum Traction/Reinforced (sidewall).

Take a look at the last copy of JP magazine, they did a tire comparision rating each for mud, sand, street, and rock. You might want to check that out.

As for my experience with them it's been all positive. They're the only thing that I've ever had on my XJ, so I can't compare them to anything else, but the only time that I've ever been stuck was in a place that was unpassable anyway. Maybe that's why I got the "Jeeps don't float" award at the club's Christmas party one year! :wow:

Robert

tcm glx said:
Actually, MTR are not a Mud terrain, tehy are built for Maximum Traction and Rocks....hence MTR.

What he said. If you're looking for a mud tire look else where. If you need to get by, they are 10 times better than an all terrain.

not impressive in mud... can go wrong with boggers if ya like the goo. if you like mud, not much trail driving, and ur XJ is a daily driver, i had a good experience with SSR's

brandon

No DOT approved tire works as good in mud as Boggers....period. I run 12.5x 33 TSL bias on The Heep....if the chassis don't drag, it won't stop....I highly recommend either the boggers or the tsl's....that is of course aside from issues like noise, tire wear, etc. You can't get killer mud tires that live a long time.

I've pesonally run both the BFG's and the MT/R's that I have now. The BFG's were definitely better in the mud, but I was willing to give up a little mud performance for the added sidewall strength.

John

I was thinking about boggers or tsl radials...but this IS my DD rig so i need some street performance. Im 99% on the TSL radials...anybody have any negitives to say about them?

I just got my 33 10.50 tsl radial in. The shop can not get them spread enought to get them to bead. They have tried two air blasters at the same time, and then they tried the almighty ether with no luck. The have put them in a closed room with a torpedo heater all day with wood wedged inside them. Last I heard they had tried again with no luck.
So much for there $2 off, $2 on policy I'll bet.

Back