• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

select trac shifting problems

waggy

NAXJA Forum User
when i shift into part time it goes in no prob ( makes a little noise once engaged) the light on the dash shows part time .when i shif into full time the light does not go on ( sometimes it does) and when i shift back into 2H it takes a long time to pop out of 4 .the fluid is up and the mount looks good . is there a sensor i need . is the linkage out of adjustment its driving me nuts . if it is just the lights on the dash hell ill take them out ..lol. the manual says it takes a while to engage when its cold out but what about disengaging . help

I´ve always had trouble getting mine (both of them) out of 4 part or full time. I found a smooth shift from full time through part time to 2X, while traveling very slow, almost coasting to a stop, then stopping works the best. Kind of shifting into 2X while stopping, nice and smooth, works most times.
I sometimes have to shift to neutral and or reverse.
If I don´t seem to be able to get it out of 4X part tiem, I usually shift back to full time, then try again.

Mine is sometimes a little balky going into or out of either part-time or full-time. I found that it's usually best to be moving when shifting into or out of either one, since it's usually a bit easier than at rest. 8Mud was dead on when he said that it may be necessary to creep forward or back a bit to get good engagement or disengagement, as well as going straight into or out of whichever position you want without pausing. Out of curiosity, are all four of your tires the same size?

Take this for what it's worth - I've only had my 242 for a week so far, but had a 231 before it for nearly a year. Neither one seems any better or worse than the other in terms of shift quality or success, but YMMV.

Noticed a delay on mine also. I also have Selec-Trac. My light still work however, but I noticed if I let off on the gas for a second right after I shift into part time or full time, it seems to go in and out a little better. Sometimes I hear a bit of a pop when going back into 2wd, once it finally comes out of 4X4. But i've read on a number of Jeep sites that a little pop hear and there is normal.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Noticed a delay on mine also. I also have Selec-Trac. My light still work however, but I noticed if I let off on the gas for a second right after I shift into part time or full time, it seems to go in and out a little better.

That's what I do. I'll shift on the fly - either 2 or 4 wheel drive - and take my foot off the gas and usually hear a knock that tells me everything is was switched.

At times my lights are a little slow to change. But kinda change with the knock I hear.

Sitting at a dead stop I found is probaly the hardest to get it in and out. Now I put the tranny in nuetral, coasting maybe 10mph or less and shift into 4(part,full,low) or back into 2, put tranny back into drive is the easiest I've found. Like butter to tell you the truth. Just figured this out a couple of weeks ago too, only if I knew then what I know now. lol

Have had Select trac for 14 years. Took a long time to figure it out but what you all say is true. I have found the best way to ensure a shift is:

1. All tires the same and equal presure
2. Go straight - don't do it while you are turning.
3. After shifting in or out, let off the throttle and listen for the slight clunk that tells you its done. I really don't trust the lights.

The problems I faced were when I violated 1 & 2 above or letting off the throttle didn't really unload the transfer case. I believe that is the root of the whole mechanisim. It will tend to stay in the position until the forces drop far enough to allow it to move.

thanks to all , it seems like stopping and shifting back and forth works between drive and reverse and sometimes park.i have heard that there is a vaccume shift module on the transfer case somewhere .and inside there is a ballberring that gets all gumed up . i am going to try and check it out and see if that helps . ill get back to you all if it does and hopefully we can all shift on the fly again.

i got a '87 242 with over 330,000 miles. same problem with shifting till i adjusted the linkage. shifts just fine now.

westsacxj said:
i got a '87 242 with over 330,000 miles. same problem with shifting till i adjusted the linkage. shifts just fine now.

I have an '89 with an np-242 also and am having one heck of a time shifting it out of 4wd partial back to 2wd. How does one adjust the linkage? The previous owner said he had only used the 4wd one or twice in 170,000 miles so I don't know if this is going to complicate matters also. Any help out there?

My 1990 with 300K miles wont go into 4wd when sitting still. I have not tried it at a rolling but will try tomorrow.

-Dillon

waggy said:
when i shift into part time it goes in no prob ( makes a little noise once engaged) the light on the dash shows part time .when i shif into full time the light does not go on ( sometimes it does) and when i shift back into 2H it takes a long time to pop out of 4 .the fluid is up and the mount looks good . is there a sensor i need . is the linkage out of adjustment its driving me nuts . if it is just the lights on the dash hell ill take them out ..lol. the manual says it takes a while to engage when its cold out but what about disengaging . help
I put Mobile I Synthetic ATF in mine and it shifts smooth now.

when i shift into 4hi i always am accelerating and shift, then i let off the gas and it instantly engages. i do the same to disengage and never have any problems, but then again i had to adjust the linkage when i got it.

waggy said:
thanks to all , it seems like stopping and shifting back and forth works between drive and reverse and sometimes park.i have heard that there is a vaccume shift module on the transfer case somewhere .and inside there is a ballberring that gets all gumed up . i am going to try and check it out and see if that helps . ill get back to you all if it does and hopefully we can all shift on the fly again.
That Module as you call is is just a switch. It operates the front axle only.
The front axle only shifts when you go from 2wd to 4wd. Shift on the fly is only from 2wd-Hi to 4wd-Hi and 4wd-Hi lok and back from Hi to Lo is not Shift on the fly.

langer1 said:
That Module as you call is is just a switch. It operates the front axle only.
The front axle only shifts when you go from 2wd to 4wd. Shift on the fly is only from 2wd-Hi to 4wd-Hi and 4wd-Hi lok and back from Hi to Lo is not Shift on the fly.
ummm..no. No 242 has ever come with a disconnect axle. Ever.

BTW we've currently got two rigs in the yard with 242's one shifts silky smooth the other takes all the aforementioned tricks and then some at times. The one with issues has a lot of slop in the shift linkage so we're gonna try some new bushings and an adjustment and see how that helps.

Last edited:
tchase said:
ummm..no. No 242 has ever come with a disconnect axle. Ever.

BTW we've currently got two rigs in the yard with 242's one shifts silky smooth the other takes all the aforementioned tricks and then some at times. The one with issues has a lot of slop in the shift linkage so we're gonna try some new bushings and an adjustment and see how that helps.
Ok then there's no vacuum switch either. Correct fluid level is importaint also, low fluid will cause hard shifting.

ok so mine shifts into 4x4 when rolling in nuetral. When I am in 2wd there is a slight clicking sound that speeds up as i go faster. When in 4wd it goes away. Can anyone diagnose this problem? Is it saft to drive in 4wd all the time/?

_Dillon

TMNT said:
ok so mine shifts into 4x4 when rolling in nuetral. When I am in 2wd there is a slight clicking sound that speeds up as i go faster. When in 4wd it goes away. Can anyone diagnose this problem? Is it safe to drive in 4wd all the time?

-Dillon

bump

Back