• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubbin' The Lower Control Arms

Ironmen77

I'm an FNG to 4-wheelin' and XJ's. So I'll probably ask a stupid question.
My '90 model XJ has been lifted 3" before I bought it. Currently running 31x10.50x15's, when I turn hard to the left or right the tires rub the lower control arms. It's been aligned, new bushings, tie rod and tie rod ends. Is this a major problem to fix?

Over-sized tires on stock rims will tend to rub the LCA. The proper fix is to get new wheels with the proper backspacing, to bad you could have bought rims with the money you spent on all that other stuff.

Greg

thanks, had to spend that money previous owners tried to run over a wellhead bent the tie rod all to heck.

you can always go for black crawler rims for like 40 bucks a pop and save money or go with the trailready beadlocks....ha, i wish.

Greg, you ever been to Polson,Mt. at the bottom of Flathead Lake? I gotta son that lives up there.
Jim

Not that I can recall. I have been around Flathead though, coming out of west Glacier and then going around the west side thru Sealy Lake.

Greg

Polson is at the very bottom of Flathead lake. Kalispell is at the top.
It's a nice place. Anyway, thanks for the info, just what I needed.
Jim

Ironmen77 said:
I'm an FNG to 4-wheelin' and XJ's. So I'll probably ask a stupid question.
My '90 model XJ has been lifted 3" before I bought it. Currently running 31x10.50x15's, when I turn hard to the left or right the tires rub the lower control arms. It's been aligned, new bushings, tie rod and tie rod ends. Is this a major problem to fix?
Depending on how much interference there is, if you are running stock LCA's, upgrading to tubular LCA's might help. I tried that. I'm running 255/70/16's (30x10.00) on stock 16x7 rims. I don't rub at all on the passenger side anymore after switching LCA's, but still rubbing on the drivers side. hmmmm.
HTH

I was born in Missoula, learned to waterski at flathead lake and who cares if the tiers rub on teh control arms, It will eventually polish them to a nice shine! dont worry about it, it wont hurt a thing I ran mine that way for years

Or if it bothers you put some washers under the steering stops on the front of the axle. :repair:

xjnation said:
who cares if the tiers rub on teh control arms, It will eventually polish them to a nice shine! dont worry about it, it wont hurt a thing I ran mine that way for years

What he said.

Only ways to fix it are wheels with less backspacing, narrower tires, or adjusting you're steering stops, which I'm sure has all been mentioned.

You can also get wheel spacers.

Back