• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building an XJ rig...Advice NEEDED from you EXPERTS...

Saloon

NAXJA Forum User
Hey since you guys know just about everything there is to know about XJ's I figured I’d ask and maybe you can give me some advice.

Let me start off by saying this my first Jeep (bought in Nov. 04) and it’s a DDriver about 90% of the time, I try and wheel as much as possible but the time just isn’t there right now,I am hoping that this summer will allow for more. When I do wheel its fairly hardcore, I am open to try anything off-roading once. Basically I wanted a rig capable of doing just about anything at a Camp Jeep event and a good amount of things on any of the Jeep Jamborees. I am always looking for places to wheel I live in Northern Ohio, Akron area so any local guys who are going out I’d love to hook up and ride out with ya.

I have a 2001 XJ Sport, & I just purchased the following parts: Flowmaster Exhaust, Rusty's Air tube w/ Cone Filter, Throttle Body Spacer, Rustys 4.5" XJ Spring Pack Kit, Rusty's Performance Steering Stabilizer, US Wheels 94 Series 15X8 3 3/4 BS, Firestone Destination M/T 33X15X12.5, 4.10 Superior Gears, Transfer Case Skid Plate, Rear Receiver Hitch, Front Receiver Mount w/ Tow Hooks.

My questions are as following:

I am wondering if these things are good choices in making a first and a capable rig. Am I going to need the bigger fender flares? Are the bushwacker flares the way to go, if so how hard are they to install on a 2001? Or are the stock TJ flares a better way to save some money?

And is there anything else you guys would add or change to the XJ in any areas? Thanks in advance for all your time and advice.

-Joe
P.S. I just recieved all of my parts today, so nothing has been installed yet.

I would really think about putting the long arm system on it it will not only improve your wheeling capabilities but it will also make your ride on the streets much smoother because with the stock control arms they will be on such an angle with the 4.5 inch lift that any bump you hit your control arms are not going to move up and down the bump will go straight to your frame and with the long arms it will give you a much better angle for the bumps

Travis Neilson said:
I would really think about putting the long arm system on it it will not only improve your wheeling capabilities but it will also make your ride on the streets much smoother because with the stock control arms they will be on such an angle with the 4.5 inch lift that any bump you hit your control arms are not going to move up and down the bump will go straight to your frame and with the long arms it will give you a much better angle for the bumps
or you could keep the kit you have now and lock onto some rubicon express drop brackets and supports. they will really help the ride of your rig. early notice so you dont get flamed it helpes to use the search button because much of this has been covered. i might also suggest a HD SYE and CV driveshaft.

Im also kinda wondering why you got all those rubies off of one post???

Should have gone with different gears. You should have gone 4.56 with the stock axles, assuming D30/8.25. 4.10's are good if your running 31" tires. Also consider getting some type of gas tank skid plate as well as some rock rails.

Greg

Back