• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about trimming fenders.....more

Atl-Atl

NAXJA Forum User
OK here is what I already have trimmed, you can see it in the pic

atticatrip124.jpg

Now what I want to do is trim a little bit more. I want to trim off the extra lip that sticks out and is roughly 1/2-3/4 of an inch. Basically I want to trim up just to under the ridge where the holes are that mount the stock fender flares. I want to be able to put my stock flares back on whenever I please, but heres my question. Do you think that the fender will lose its strength as far as the plate that holds on the flare is concerned? Does the plate use that lip to ride against, or does it just look like it would? Do you think the flares/mounting plates would hold on solidly with just a flush mounting surface, without that ridge in other words?

You should be fine. If you are re-using those metal plate swith the flares, they should provide plenty of strength. Because the flare is bolting to a circular bolt pattern, you really dont have much to mess up as far as lining things up.
Just as an example...I trimed above my stock flare holes.

648974_33_full.jpg

I then ditched the metal plates because after breaking the first few stud, I just ripped the rest off. I used 4 nut/bolts on each flare with new holes that I drilled. They are solid.

648974_36_full.jpg

Ok...the point of my ranting is you will be fine. Haha...its been a long night. Trimming is fun and addicting...so happy trimming!

Justin

That does look really nice, and I think I could probably do that, but figure out a way for the factory flare to be mounted in a little different of a way so as to not have a gap where the bumper meets it, maybe even trim the fender in front when I get a new bumper. The point im trying to work around though, is keeping the body work looking totally stock. I think yours is the closest ive seen ever, its very nice, I like it alot and will probably try something along those lines. Thanks for the inspiration.

Heres what I did. Since this was taken I have cut about .5-1'' more then what is shown. If you want a stock look, just get bushwakers.
Picture139.jpg

Rear:
CindysBday008.jpg

Since that was taken, the edges were hammered up and it has been painted. It looks a lot better.

HAHA you said stock look = bushwackers, you sure are funny! jk I think I have some ideas from what you posted, thanks again, ill be sure to let the forum know how my trimming+stock flares goes

Hey thanks for the compliments. I was really nervous about cutting up the fenders, but I didnt just spend all that money on a lift and 33s to have them rub...so I just went at it. Once I got started it actually became really fun. Here is a pic of how much I cut off to give you a better idea.

648974_39_full.jpg

Here is what I used to attatch the flares back on. Since there is a gap between the mounting flange and the edge of the flare, I used a piece of fuel hose as a spacer. Worked great.

648974_35_full.jpg

I probably could have cut my flares more strategically to make it look closer to stock, but Im saving for bushwackers anyway. Since those pics have been taken I relocated the horns and the vaccum bottle, installed the "pool noodles", and started to make the old inner wheel well plastic fit back in.

I havent touched the rear yet. Only under extreme flexing do the tires rub the flare...and it hasnt rubbed really bad yet. Ill trim those when I get the wackers. If you need anymore info let me know. There are some pretty good sites floating around for trimming articles as well. Have fun and take some more pics!

Justin

648974_37_full.jpg

...one more trimmed pic... :)

Here are some more pics:
CindysBday034.jpg

CindysBday033.jpg

That side the rear has not been done yet. Just trying to give you an idea of what the front and back look like. The rear has been folded up to the pinch seam. Here is the other side rear. These are 32s, and it looks like I could go up to 35s if I wanted.

CindysBday031.jpg

CindysBday030.jpg

edit: Sorry about the bad lighting, you cant really see the tires.

Hey xtremewlr...What are the specs on your wheel/tire combo? Tire size, wheel size/offset? I was going to go with TJ flares, but i was concerned about the fronts not giving me enough coverage for my tires. Im in PA and they can be kind of a pain when it comes to tires sticking out. Since XJs taper in alittle at the front, I was wondering how the TJ did. The rear would be great. You had good write ups on fender trimming so Im anxious to see how you do with the TJ flares.

Justin

ghettocruiser said:
Hey xtremewlr...What are the specs on your wheel/tire combo? Tire size, wheel size/offset? I was going to go with TJ flares, but i was concerned about the fronts not giving me enough coverage for my tires. Im in PA and they can be kind of a pain when it comes to tires sticking out. Since XJs taper in alittle at the front, I was wondering how the TJ did. The rear would be great. You had good write ups on fender trimming so Im anxious to see how you do with the TJ flares.

Justin

My understanding is that the TJ flares are wider than stock XJ flares and should therefore cover the tires if you are still on stock width axles. On my current setup, the tires are sticking out by about an inch past the stock flares, front and rear. Im running 33" tires on 15x8 rims with 3.75" backspace on the front and 4" BS on the rear. The front rubs the control arm on the drivers side at full lock so I am going to be changing the front rims out to match the rear in looks and BS once I get off my lazy ass and buy another pair of rims.

You could find some rubicon TJ flares, I think they are an inch (or even more) wider than stock TJ flares.

Isnt it Sahara flares that are wider than the regular TJ flares?? Or are they both wider. In any case, Im sticking out way more than an inch in the front. Im running 33x12.5 on 15x8 rims with 4.0 bs...The rear isnt too bad. But the fronts stick way out. Take some pics for us when you get them goin on.

Justin

TJ flares are wider than xj and sahara flares are wider than regular tj flares. Does anone have pictures of tj rear flares on both the front and rear of a xj? I would like to see pictures of that.

xtremewlr said:
My understanding is that the TJ flares are wider than stock XJ flares and should therefore cover the tires if you are still on stock width axles. On my current setup, the tires are sticking out by about an inch past the stock flares, front and rear. Im running 33" tires on 15x8 rims with 3.75" backspace on the front and 4" BS on the rear. The front rubs the control arm on the drivers side at full lock so I am going to be changing the front rims out to match the rear in looks and BS once I get off my lazy ass and buy another pair of rims.

Reading another thread on rims, I just realized that I had the backspace switched around in this post. Should be 4" BS in the front and 3.75" BS in the rear. :doh:

Back